Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK Maybe it isn't so great to always be nice at work

I'm looked upon somewhat fondly as the curmudgeon in my workplace. It's not that I enjoy being negative, but I sure as shit don't like to be so god-awful upbeat about everything. Sometimes things aren't so great, and that's fine.

I found this article interesting, given that in our culture, we don't always appreciate our colleagues who are not always sunshine and rainbows.

climaction23 6 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@climaction23

I think one of the biggest problems with mandatory niceness and other friendliness is that the subjective market value of that niceness and friendliness can plunge when a person is just nice to everybody.

Secondly, getting personal with others is counter-productive, and makes people less functional. There are very specific reasons why constant productivity and achievement while being on-shift is needed in workplaces, so when people try to use that working time to socialize, then all it does is make a company less competitive and profitable.

Now, what do I think is a necessary take-away? People who are highly qualified, hard-working, focused and smart should not work at places that draw in the less mature types that are wasting company time and money.

I can agree with you on that much.

That was a good read. Very timely for me at my work.

Glad you liked it. I don't want to work in an office of assholes, either, but if making "being nice" the focus is definitely annoying at best and counter-productive in its more advanced forms.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.