Agnostic.com

5 15

Seth Andrews of "The Thinking Atheist Podcast" interviewed Dr. Ron Siegel about the "Science of Mindfulness." I listened to the podcast, but here is the video of the interview. He raised some interesting points I hadn't considered about how we care for our minds.

I now realize "mindfulness" is what I'm doing when I take my evening walks, at the end of the day, and sit on my favorite log for about 5 minutes, facing into the wind while I mentally clear my head of the daily thoughts and odds and ends swirling around in there, and I come out of it far more content. There's a reason I do it at the end of the day, rather than the beginning. Very relaxing to set aside the work-a-day thoughts.

As I finish up my walk I am treated to live music in the air, and usually take another 5-10 minute stop to let my mind get transported through whatever story is being told by the singer. "Fly me to the moon..." or "Somewhere over the rainbow..." and other random musical interludes played for the folks at the outdoor/open air restaurant/bar.

Other nights I take my bike out for a ride along the coast and sit on my favorite rock in silence, again allowing the wind to blow in my face, clearing my mind of all else by watching the scenery go by as I pedal.

Do you have a daily routine of clearing your mind, or focusing on something else for a short period of time? Do you find it helpful for your peace of mind or contentedness?

Julie808 8 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Excellent discussion. I only disagree with Dr Siegel about the mind and brain being the same thing. I think the "mind," or what produces actual consciousness, is our neural network before synopsis link it to the physical brain. That NN is literally our true self. Our soul, if you will. Outside that I enjoyed every word. Peace.

I understood him to say the brain and the mind are not the same thing, but more like hardware and software, and other examples two different sides to the same coin.

@Julie808 Maybe. I heard the hardware/software analogy but then I thought he said that they serve the same function like one machine. I don't think they do. Synopsis' bring memory and some other functions which are aside from what the magnetic-electrical activity is doing. Memories don't stay with the electrons when they leave, for example, which they must do.

Interesting discussion. I use the follow-the-breath technique at bedtime to step away from the inner dialogues. When i wake up in the morning it is mostly impossible to tame the monkey mind.

JGal Level 7 May 4, 2022

I’m retired, so I focus on something else all day long! 😁

skado Level 9 May 4, 2022

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.

skado Level 9 May 4, 2022

I ride my Schwinn Cruiser to Sprouts, the Post Office, or the bank....or go for a longer ride on my mountain bike, or hike to the top of a local mountain, or walk around a lake, or walk along the embarcadero, or take my sailboat out on the bay (did that one yesterday; today is looking like a Sprouts run) 😊

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664326
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.