Agnostic.com

5 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love it!

Here is a paper from the British Psychological Society that is important to the understanding of Flat Earthers, superstitions, conspiracy theories, and religions. Worth the read.

[digest.bps.org.uk]

I had been thoroughly convinced that these people couldn't actually believe this stuff and that the whole business was just a show, until ... until I ran into one at a conference during Astronomy Week 1985. I was presenting a series of talks on meteors, meteorites, and impact mechanics as well as running a meteorite display. I was approached by a fellow whom I guessed was in his late thirties to early forties. He was a ... Flat Earther. He was serious. He wanted to regale me with his 'proofs', and I was completely fascinated with his total lack of embarrassment.

I walked him through a series of easier mathematical/physical things anyone can perform to determine that the Earth is curved. I went through some basic pure physical experiments that would show any normal person the fallacy of the flat Earth concept. He would have none of it. I hadn't had even the slightest impact on him and I'm sure he went away thinking I was just another cog in the conspiracy machine.

Until we can get people away from the kind of thinking that produces these odd ideas, I don't think there is much that can be done to get the general populace of the world on the track to advancing our society to that next level of the Type I civilization. I hope it happens before we destroy ourselves.

Sadly, at the rate we're going destruction seems imminent.

I wonder if the members of the Flat Earth Society went to public school, or didn't bother with school?

Quite right, Decieven. There have been several studies run during the past few decades with some interesting results about conspiracy buffs and other believers. I'll dig some of them out to post here later.

There is no rational explanation for such chosen ignorance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6647
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.