Agnostic.com

15 1

What do atheists do when asked to swear on the Bible in court. Do you just go through the motions or do you tell the judge you are an atheist and the Bible just doesn't mean anything to you.

Specman 6 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never been to court...but if I did...I would just say "Scouts Honor!"

We with Quaker roots say "I affirm"

SKIP Level 2 Dec 27, 2017

Yes, i have used i affirm in courts affairs. I am a birthright quaker via family in virginia, usa, since1690.

Even though they are an atheist, they don't have any choice but to swear on it. -Engr. James Paul

Too funny! I've wondered the same thing myself. If I were to say, so help me god, I would already be lying.

...but do they use the term "so help me god"

We ask to swear on the constitution instead because it actully is what we should be swearing on in court anyway. ???????????

I find it ironic that believers will swear on the Bible when the Bible itself reads not to swear on anything; a person's word is supposed to be sufficient. I would not swear on one as it implies it is some standard of truth and that I fear punishment from some god if I should lie. Instead, I would swear/affirm "under penalty of law" to tell the truth.

I've testified in court a few times and in Michigan I have not has to swear to God or place my hand on a Bible (although, I was ready to protest). If ever I was asked to swear to God on the Bible I'd refuse first. If they insisted, I would simply state then that my testimony would be only as factually credible as the book they were expecting me to swear upon.

So far as I can tell there is no need to swear an oath. The law obligates you be truthful in your testimony regardless. So why should I have to make any claims about my testimony? Who knows?

Interesting question. Never been in the position.

I would just bullshit and do the bible thing as it can only help you in that situation. it won't change what I believe, however. ill chose bullshit to save my skin anytime just like anyone.

I can't speak for anyone else here but if I were to be sworn into court I'd simply request to be sworn in with a book of laws rather than the bible.

you would be scorned upon if you did that so I would just lie. everybody does it especially religious people. I can play their stupid game especially if it helps me.

@LeighShelton I'm very open and honest about being an atheist. Doesn't mean much to others but I grew up in a very fundamentalist Christian family. Was even a minister at one point. Becoming atheist for me is a proud moment in my life as I finally, after years of study and confusion stripped off the blinders and chains that religion and ignorance had on me. I have zero interest in hiding it out of any fear of being scorned.

Some information on affirming vs. swearing:
[thoughtco.com]

I say nothing and abide by the convention of the court. To admit to any kind of theism might prejudice the judge.

I wonder if to not could end up doing likewise where I live. Disbelief is highly suspect in the bible belt.

Ya, I did that to get my first marriage certificate (not court, but still a legal thing). The dude then had us read a non-religious attestation that the facts we were presenting were true.

Wow! Do they still do that? Hmmm...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.