Agnostic.com

3 7

Saturday led me to a strange event when I heard that a family member had died. I had married into Peggy's family twice over the years, grew up with her and her siblings, and her brother was my one time best friend. Now Peggy was dead and in her honor the family had a big dinner in the park. This was much like a "remember her" wake.

The first one I saw was Faye who takes it upon herself religiously to dominate and control all family events. Faye started with me in saying our government was all messed up and we needed to get that man out of the White House ASAP and get America back to normal. Faye was stunned when I replied that we are not Burger King and regardless of Trump rallies we cannot instantly "have it our way." I told her it was all about money. She agreed. Then I threw in that if she was to talk American politics with me keep in mind that it's the same old crap but a different pile. Faye is then very upset and says I am wrong. I'm just wrong, she says, as she almost runs to get away from me.

Later before the meal, Faye gets out her guitar and sings a song she wrote especially for Peggy before she died. Faye says she asked Peggy if she was right with god and Peggy said yes. Peggy's mother had died before her and Fay claims Peggy said "I'm going home to meet my momma." Then Faye sang her special song and she says Peggy is walking, no, Peggy is running. She's up there in the sky with her momma, god, and Jesus. They are all having a great time.

I wanted to vomit but had to be cool to this. Most family members, some I could not remember, were just there to see living relatives and have a meal. This happens anytime there is a death.

I spent a lot of time with Larry, Peggy's brother and my one time best friend. They are a musical family and Larry once played backup in bands for Lori Morgan and even Willie Nelson. He had higher ambitions but alcoholism and 5 marriages made it all tumble down. Retired now and able to play almost anything Larry made a classical guitar album a few years ago. Larry reminds some of the others of who I am. Some knew me and some not. Some said they had heard my name over the years.

I noticed that Larry also had suspenders. He laughed and said that was because of his pistol. When I said I could not see a pistol he said I am not supposed to see his pistol. He reminds me of years ago when I was pretty good with a gun. My reply was that I no longer practice and never did concealed carry. Larry, on the other hand, shot a man once over one of his wives.

He goes on to tell me that he prays every day and reads his bible. He remembers when I once studied mine but he is with a group in his Assemblies of God church who actively do concealed carry during services. He claims you would never know which ones are carrying. When I mentioned shooters coming in to kill the congregation he said that was not it. I never did get a valid reason for the inside church concealed carry.

Peggy was my children's aunt and I am glad I went to this function. Equally as glad that it is over, it backed up my reclusive views and the real fact that I can never be active in this sort of bullshit again. I can never be involved romantically with these kinds of people again. A few said they had not seen me in a very long time. My reply was that is because I work with the public daily and then go home to hide. I do not mingle.

DenoPenno 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I will be going to my former BILs celebration of life next week, several members of the extended family are still Missouri Synod Lutherans. I expect to see some of the same BS, but my ex, my son and I are all either agnostic or atheist. My SIL has not been active in the church since the 1970s, and I hope that none of the relatives act up. Several of the cousins are young earth lutherans, so I hope I can bite my tongue, this won't be a time to deflect from the person we are honoring.

Oh man . I will had lost my shit 5 minutes after Faye opened her mouth . Wow . There is no way I will tolerate that much .
Even the new and better version of me , the older / matured version of me, no . I can’t . U heard a lot for a day and I have no idea how u made it .
Wow

The big problem with Faye is that she takes this shit upon herself and expects everyone to believe it. When it comes to religion she could find a black cat in a dark room. We are expected to believe Peggy was alive and approved of her song in which "Peggy is walking, no she is running, she is up there with her momma, god, and Jesus." Honestly I wanted to throw up. Larry and others there are going for the god issue because of age and health and they have nowhere else to go. I'm not out as atheist to that group so it is best to leave it alone. My 2 daughters know I am atheist but Trump, the pandemic, and every other scary thing has caused them to retreat into religion as well. Also, my oldest grandson was murdered so my daughter hangs onto religion in a futile hope to see him again. I could never go into a cesspool like this and get another life partner. I cannot live that way again.

You did your "duty show-up" & can now hide out for awhile hope.....

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.