Agnostic.com

36 16

Captions!!

So, I have a processing delay between what I hear and my brain. This makes it difficult for me to watch movies or tv. I usually almost always have captions on, so I can catch everything.

I don't usually go to the theaters because of this, combined with other people making noise because it makes it hard for me to hear what people are saying.

Well just in time for Avengers, the warren in wichita got closed caption devices! This changes my theater experience and I'm super excited.

This got me thinking about people and when you're in a relationship.

How do you feel about captions on what you're watching? Does it bother you?

LadyAlyxandrea 8 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I want to read I'd read a book ...but if it's cos someone has a medical problem and that's why it's on then I'd put up with it cos I'm not that much of a git ......well sometimes !!

Decades ago actor's were taught to enunciate their words. Now they just mumble.

I use them at times, but too often they distract me & I actually miss more when they're on. If I had to I guess I'd get used to them, which I may have to as I'm deaf in one ear already, but right now it lessens the experience for me.

I dated a gal who had Fybromyalgia and a few other issues. She could not tolerate sound beyond quite low levels. I show up in her life with hearing aids. She insists on captions, I give it a whirl and realize that now I am missing things that are important to me because I HAVE to read the captions... (sigh).

I can do them, I didn't complain but I often rewatched stuff so that I could catch the visuals I'd missed while listening to the dialogue, etc.

I was trying to figure out a way to adjust, training me to NOT watch the captions or something, but the relationship ended before I got too far. I still note that when there are captions, I read them versus watching the video and I know this is my issue. I own that part.

Oh, worse, I am annoyed when I find something is wrong in the caption. Misspelled words, or just wrong words (as opposed to the spoken dialogue).

I watch a lot of non-English speaking films, so reading captions is just second nature to me. And you are right, if you can read the caption you know what was just said.

So often times I'll watch something with the captions on to see if they are accurate and if they are not I find it bothersome.

Geee.... i suppose it wouldn't.... i don't know.

Captions drive me nuts. I tend to get distracted and end up missing most of the movie. That being said, I watch quite a few foriegn movies with captions. It's easier than learning the languages

Decades ago actor's were taught to enunciate their words. Now they just mumble.

I don't usually turn them on myself, but they don't bother me ... and I notice I keep up better with them on. I might also have some processing delay going on. Or a hearing issue. Or both.

vita Level 7 Apr 27, 2018

I always have em on usually makes me say what because I thought it was something different some shows n movie's have bad quality sound for voice but blow u away on background music n noises I fill much more absorbing of whatever it is if I can read, hear n watch everything.

OK, so I'm not the only one that thinks the movies drown-out the voices (and worse, the whispers) and favor the dramatic music and various noises! Very irritating. On news and (of course) ads, I can hear every word, unfortunately. Movies, very little sometimes. Another pet peeve... they show something written in tiny tiny form for half a second. Huh, what was that?

there are a number of movies & tv shows that have done this, & usually just when the drama is building. The voices get lower & the soundtrack gets louder...very, very aggravating!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66669
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.