Agnostic.com

1 2

Trumpism has taken on a life of its own inside the body of the GOP. This will probably not end well.

#GOP
Flyingsaucesir 8 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Given that the democrats are opening the boarder, causing record fuel prices, causing the highest inflation in 40+ years, baby formula and other food shortages, and currently planning to sign a treaty handing over “pandemic response” responsibilities to the world health organization; I would hope that this shit ends sooner rather than later.

I sure could go for some mean tweets.

Well, nothing new here from you CJ. Same old litany of BS. You are so funny! Okay so now I'm going to demolish your childish assertions, one by one. Ready? Here goes.

1. Democrats are not "opening the boarder" [sic]. That is a falsehood that Republicans and Fox News have repeated over and over, but there is no basis for it. In fact, the Biden Administration deported over 74,000 people in 2021. It is a lower number than in previous years, but it includes a much higher proportion of felons than under Trump. In other words, Biden's is a smarter, more targeted approach. Biden has also righted a terrible wrong by successfully reuniting over 180 children with their families. This was no easy task, as the Trump Administration had completely lost track of those kids. They had no idea where they were.

2. The inflation rate is a function of monetary and fiscal policies over many years, even decades. It is not something that any president or administration has direct control over in the short term. Through its ability to control the money supply and to set certain interest rates, the Federal Reserve Board has has some power to influence the inflation rate, but even their actions cannot change anything in the very short term.

3. The baby formula shortage is the result of supply chain issues brought about by a global pandemic and by the shutting down of a major production facility due to bacterial contamination. These things are beyond the control of any president or administration.

4. The USA is not "handing over pandemic response responsibilities" to the WHO. But we are, rightly, renewing our commitment to work with that organization on global health matters. It makes sense to do so, because the pathogen that raises its ugly head on the other side of the world can very quickly make its way to our shores. Unlike Trump, who rejected science in favor of wacko conspiracy theories, Biden embraces science and uses it to our advantage

Your accusatory finger-pointing is so simplistic, so childish, so blind to complexity and nuance, that one is apt to think that you are either very stupid or that you have a hidden agenda. Which is it CJ?

@Flyingsaucesir

You’re comical

@CourtJester I will give you this: you have one of the best, most fitting screen names I have come across. Kudos for the apt nom de guerre!

@Flyingsaucesir

And you’re rather uneducated

1. See clip from NPR

2. Every president has 100% control of economic policy. Trump’s was a winner. Biden’s is an obvious loser.

3. The baby formula is isn’t at all supply chain. It is from the FDA shutting down Abbott labs’ largest plant months ago and the president’s administration not planning ahead. Not even a little bit. Europe isn’t having formula issues.

4. [who.int]

Won't go into effect until 2024 (oddly)
The WHO will get to say what is a health epidemic and how to address it based on "equity over need".

The common flu could be a pandemic.

Do better. You sound like an uneducated redneck but on the other side of the fence. Equally ignorant, but on the other spectrum of ignorance.

@CourtJester Once again you have oversimplified the immigration issue. Read this article for the full story:

[americanimmigrationcouncil.org]

@CourtJester Of course every president has control of their own fiscal policy! But that does not mean they have control over the inflation rate. Again, it has to do with many factors. In the present instance, a major factor is the backup in the supply chain, which caused shortages of goods, which translated into higher prices. That's kind of how it works in a market economy. If supply goes down and demand remains steady, then the price goes up.

There is evidence that some of the rise in gasoline prices is due to price gouging. Oil company profits are skyrocketing. It looks like they saw the war in Ukraine as an opportunity to raise prices (and their own profits) way beyond what a reasonable market adjustment might have warranted. Obviously if their profits are skyrocketing, the oil companies are not merely passing along an increased cost. They're gouging the consumer.

@Flyingsaucesir

“ Of course every president has control of their own fiscal policy! But that does not mean they have control over the inflation rate.”

I can’t believe that the education system is so screwed up that people can type this and believe it.

@CourtJester The FDA's job is to monitor the SAFETY of the food supply. It was not created to smooth out short-term ups and downs in the food supply. This is a market-based economy. The private sector is supposed to respond to demand by upping supply. Corporations have consistently and relentlessly lobbied Congress to keep its hands off business matters. "Let the market decide" they cry. Now it sounds like you would like to expand the role of government. Well which is it?

@Flyingsaucesir but you said it was a supply chain issue. Now you’ve looked into it and finding your line to argue on.

They shut down Abbott months ago and just now saw the shortage and are looking to import baby formula…. Although they are shipping truckloads to the Mexican boarder for immigrants while citizens have none.

Let’s Go Brandon

@CourtJester The CDC and other American health authorities are not giving up their authority to take action to protect Americans from pathogens. They are simply agreeing to collaborate with the WHO. Again, this should be viewed as a good thing. International collaboration is called for. Mind you, we went (had to go) searching abroad for personal protective gear in the early days of the pandemic. It's good to have relationships with foreign partners. And you should notice that there have been no shortages of vaccines for Americans. In fact, the problem is on the demand side, not the supply side. Too many Americans are in the thrall of wacko conspiracy theories, and their stupidity has in many, many cases been their undoing. I refer you to the fact that since we have had vaccines, the vast majority of COVID-19 deaths have occurred among people who REFUSED VACCINATION. You can lead a horse to water...

@Flyingsaucesir gripping at straws…

@CourtJester When you wrote "boarder" in your original comment, I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I figured it was just a typo, (even though the "a" on the keyboard is not really close to the "r" ). I figured you knew the difference between a person who eats at someone elses table and a boundary line dividing states or countries. But here you do it again, so I guess I was wrong. FYI, the word you are trying to write is "border." 😂

@CourtJester PS I do hope you understand that I take no pleasure in crushing you. But you just keep coming back for more. Sigh.

@Flyingsaucesir
If Apple’s spell checker is your strongest argument; I would recommend a higher education for you personally.

Do better.

@CourtJester My arguments are right there in front of you if you care to read them.

@Flyingsaucesir
I’ve seen deflect. I haven’t seen an argument or rebuttal in the least.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.