Agnostic.com

2 14

The girl I mentored says she gained confidence during our time together.

Yesterday I asked Alexandria, "What key takeaway from our time together will you carry forward in life?" This is a question I ask all of the students I mentor.

"Confidence," she replied. " I gained confidence in my writing skills and in myself."

"That's what I was going to say!" I replied. "I watched you increase your confidence and self-worth. You have grown tremendously. I'm proud of you."

When I met Alexandria last September, she was extremely quiet, withdrawn and anxious. She refused to talk about her father's violent abuse. "It's too upsetting," she said.

"Ok," I replied. "If you don't tell your story and most importantly, what you learned from it, you can forget about getting into University of Washington and winning scholarships. You can always go to the community college."

I suggested she get a job and volunteer teaching flute lessons to 7th graders. She did.

Little by little, she opened up. Alexandria is brilliant and a hard worker with a 3.94-grade point average. She plays four musical instruments. With my help, she wrote beautiful and fascinating essays to apply for college and scholarships. My favorite part:

"From the terrors I've faced as a kid, I have grown to be hardworking, motivated, determined, kind and patient."

"After facing negativity in my childhood home, I want to make the people around me feel like they are in a safe space. I want to learn and and become the best person possible so I can avoid turning out anything like my father. I do not want to add any more negativity to the world. I plan to carry this positive attitude forward in life."

Alexandria won 20-scholarships totaling $62,009 so far. She will start at University of Washington this Fall.

LiterateHiker 9 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Awesome job keep it up

bobwjr Level 10 May 21, 2022

Those young people that you have mentored will forever be enhanced by the time they spent with you.

@HippieChick58

Thank you, dear. I'm so proud of Alexandria. My heart feel warm and full.

Next week, she and her mother will tour Univ. of Washington. I want to celebrate her achievements.

After they get home, we will get ice cream and eat it at Riverfront Park.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667512
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.