Agnostic.com

1 5

LINK Tennessee is about to become the 1st state to make camping on public land a felony

(I am willing to bet the law will mostly be enforced against persons of color, more so than against whites. I also think some police will use the law to extract sexual favors with the promise of avoiding arrest.)

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. — Miranda Atnip lost her home during the coronavirus pandemic after her boyfriend moved out and she fell behind on bills. Living in a car, the 34-year-old worries every day about getting money for food, finding somewhere to shower, and saving up enough money for an apartment where her three children can live with her again.

Now she has a new worry: Tennessee is about to become the first U.S. state to make it a felony to camp on local public property such as parks.

"Honestly, it's going to be hard," Atnip said of the law, which takes effect July 1. "I don't know where else to go."

Tennessee already made it a felony in 2020 to camp on most state-owned property. In pushing the expansion, Sen. Paul Bailey noted that no one has been convicted under that law and said he doesn't expect this one to be enforced much, either. Neither does Luke Eldridge, a man who has worked with homeless people in the city of Cookeville and supports Bailey's plan — in part because he hopes it will spur people who care about the homeless to work with him on long-term solutions.

snytiger6 9 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a person who travels in a small RV, overnight camping in state/local parks has in most cases been forbidden, unless a ranger was there 24/7 & the place was set up for it.
Not a felony but grounds for law personnel to roust you, for sure, and sometimes a hefty fine too!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.