Agnostic.com

2 1

Differences USA/UK

SOCCER is a much better name than Football

"SOCCER" implies that there will be impacts. "Sock it to me!"

"FOOTBALL" fails to recognize that blows to other parts of the body will occur

America had the common sense to protect several body parts.

UK only thought to possibly protect the genitals.

Now hundreds are considering whether blows to the head will give them Alzheimers.

Will the UK learn from America?

Proper head protection now!

Consider Banning Heading!

Mcflewster 8 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are confusing American Football, where the feet are rarely used, with English football where it is a foul to use ones hands.
When did American "footballers" ever use their heads to play the ball?

Why is it called football then? I would prefer to say that I am no more confused than anyone else.

It is the disparity in protection and the naming that shows no logical thinking

@Mcflewster American "football" involves tackling members of the opposing team even when they do not have the ball, and throwing the ball. It is very seldom kicked.
Even rugby has more kicking than American "football".

@Petter I do know spomerhing about these sports and I am not complaint about what you say.I am complaining about the lack of logic in the naming of the sports but more about the lack of common sense in protection ,which may be thrown off by bad naming.

@Mcflewster The damage possible from heading a football in young, developing brains has led to it being banned in junior schools.
Headgear has been shown NOT to protect against repetitive heading of a ball, since the damage is not superficial.

@Petter So is that ban enough? I suspect it effects all ages.

@Mcflewster It affects everyone, but is dramatically worse for developing children.
Collisions between American football players, despite padding, causes brain damage.
Other things bad for one's brain are riding bicycles over rough tracks, driving all terrain vehicles over rough terrain, bumping one's head against an obstacle or on the floor, etc
Unfortunately, it is not possible to legislate against these.

@Petter So are we doomed to loads of incapable veteran footballers?

@Mcflewster The Republican party already supplies those in droves.

Am against the whole culture of contact sports.

I am all for contacts and one must expect blows, but it is the lack of logical thinking and subsequent protection that worries me. The evidence IS there.

@Mcflewster after all the years of contact sports, I would think the lack of logical thinking would be expected

@HankSherman Please do not give up on Logic! It is affecting people's brain health in this case.

@Mcflewster lol...I was knocked out while playing football in highschool, .....have used that as an excuse for SO MANY of my short commings since then....they say it so hard to prove, or dis-prove brain damage.....that my story, and I'm sticking to it.

@HankSherman Yours is solid experiential evidence

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.