Agnostic.com

5 1

LINK How to Talk With Evangelicals About Evolution

If you aren’t caught on one side of the evolution debates, it can be hard to grasp what all the fuss is about. Here’s the short version: Charles Darwin’s crime wasn’t disproving God. Rather, the evolutionary theory he espoused in “On the Origin of Species” rendered God unnecessary. Darwin provided an explanation for life’s origins — and, more problematically, the origins of humanity — that didn’t require a creator.

What would Darwin think if he could see the evolution wars rage today? If he knew that, year after year, national polls find one-third of Americans believe that humans have always existed in their current form? (In many religious groups, that number is far higher.) That, among all Western nations, only Turkey is more likely than the United States to flat-out reject the notion of human evolution?

zblaze 7 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not sure you can talk to evangelicals about evolution. But first, a qualification: not all evangelists are fundamentalists. Mainline (non-fundamentalist) evangelists can even be somewhat liberal, in terms of social issues at any rate. So perhaps it is possible to reach some of these people. As for fundamentalist evangelicals, I find the following anecdote useful:

*Guy gets on a plane and finds himself seated next to a cute blonde. 
He immediately turns to her and makes his move. "You know," he says,
"I've heard that flights will go quicker if you strike up a 
conversation with your fellow passenger. So let's talk."

The blonde, who had just opened her book, closes it slowly and asks
the guy, "What would you like to discuss?"

"Oh, I don't know," says the guy. "How about nuclear power?"
"OK," says the blonde. "That could be an interesting topic. But let
me ask you a question first.

A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff-----grass.   Yet the deer excretes little pellets, the cow turns out a flat patty, and the horse produces muffins of dried poop. Why do you suppose that is?"

The guy is dumbfounded. Finally he replies, "I haven't the slightest idea."
"So tell me," says the blonde, "How is it that you feel qualified to
discuss nuclear power when you don't know shit?"

I believe that trying to reason with fundamentalist evangelicals about evolution and most other subjects is roughly equivalent to the blondes dilemma.

[Sadly, I don’t recall the source of the above. Otherwise, I would reference it.]

I've always thought why wouldn't thirteen point seven billion years of evolution be a tribute to god, assuming he does exist. However, the vast distances today's telescopes can see also proves a tremendous length of time, far before the story of creation as per the bible.

Evolution has not been going on for 13 billion years, at least on earth. The earth is 4.5 billion years old, and life started some 1 billion years after that.

I grow tired of the same tired and ignorant arguments against evolution from creationists, specifically:

If we're descended from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Evolution is only a theory.

Evolution is a religion.

I believe he'd think what most of us think, that the evidence supports his theory and anybody who doesn't agree either doesn't understand or simply won't look at it.

“Darwin provided an explanation for life’s origins“

I don’t think he does. On The Origin Of Species. It’s right there in the title. It gives a natural explanation for the variety of life we see. It doesn’t say a thing about it’s origins.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.