Agnostic.com

3 7

I know Facebook is not very popular to most of the people on this site. I can see many reasons why that has occurred. On the other hand I feel fortunate to have cultivated a group of people that teach me things that I never knew before.
This is something I learned today from good old Facebook. I had no idea that maps were unable to accurately portray the size differences in countries.

[geospatialworld.net]maps-that-show-why-some-countries-are-not-as-big-as-they-look/

Lorajay 9 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I totally get the mixed feelings about Facebook, but it's cool you found a space for learning! I also like Facebook for the opportunity to gain Facebook followers cheaply with this service. I had a similar revelation about maps – they can be deceiving! It's wild how our perspectives shift, right? Kudos to your unique Facebook journey!

Eschew FB.

It is of course mainly a problem with Mercator's projection, which is not the only map projection available, but is so useful that it becomes almost the standard. Any map is bound to cause some sort of distortion since it is not possible to unwrap a spherical surface and flatten it out without stretching it in some way.

It only needs a seconds thought to see that, since Mercator keeps the lines of latitude parallel, it is bound to distort the width of things towards the poles, since the poles are only single points, yet in Mercator they stretch all the way along both the top and bottom of the map, making a single point as wide as the planet.

While on curious things, did you also know that there are several north and south poles, not just one at each end ? At least two magnetic poles at each end, a geographic, which is the end of the earths axis, a traditional geographic, where the lines of longitude meet, an astronomic, which is where the geographic points at the sky, and which moves as the earths tilt changes, and a pole of inaccessibility which at the South is the furthest point from the coast, at least.

I did not know about the multiple polls, thank you.

Many people have inabilities in specific areas of learning. I thought I really liked geography but evidently my real interest was in the people or anthropology. I have a real deficit in understanding special relationships so even though I know about the problems with map making now it is still very hard for me to really understand it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.