Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK 7 dimensions of depression, explained.

*Essay On Dog Training and Depression😘

I rent a room in a friend’s house. She’s ten years older and rooted in a machismo, Rat Pack, culture that I don’t share. My culture was the 1960’s and 70’s (both of which she eschews so I don’t mention them much). She also loves having many dogs and cats around (like most females seem to enjoy) but I haven’t had anything to do with a dog for the last forty-two years. Only two quiet cats during the marriage but now three. Her dog was dying so she got a puppy before that happened and I’ve not had a moment alone for the last two months. Puppies, especially a black Lab, want (and get) every second of time. I can’t watch a news segment to completion because the dog is climbing on me, wants to retrieve a toy, or one of us must talk to him so I can’t hear the Reporter. I find it all very annoying, albeit cute, but I have the same feelings for the Reporter so it works out.

What me and this friend mostly have in common is being a Democrat and that has sustained us over these pandemic years. Before moving in with her I had been alone since my divorce (ten years earlier) and lived in four states during that decade. I have become accustomed to being alone and actually love it. Humans annoy me.

During the pandemic years, before her dog got hip dysplasia, I closed the door a lot. Came out for a few news shows, so we had time together, and lifted things she thought were heavy. She’s not in great health so it’s likely I’ll soon be saddled with owning the new dog until its demise. All life dies so I’m not squeamish about that truth but I’m also not immune to bonding. I’ve just tried to avoid it.

Our immersion into MSNBC and CNN, especially over the last two months, has been heavy so I thought that was the reason I have become depressed. Then she got mad at me for trying to help with a water line leak and not being responsive to questions fast enough. I have been concerned about her impatience and inability to let go of shit so have tread carefully but that’s just managed anxiety. My anxiety now requires meditation but, upon examining this situation, I think the problem is the dog. She can’t play with him much so he’s attached to me and that’s eating at her. She had full control of the older dog (now deceased). She stopped this dog from coming into my room so I got to shut the door, again. Headphones and brown noise kept me from hearing the gun shots, screams, explosions, and other horrors from her movies while meditating and reading. I’m going to spend more time reading books and less on social media. But my depression seems to have lifted. This brings me to my point: People suck.

Actually, my point is that losing oneself into a culture which doesn’t fit is depressing. Maybe Americans now find themselves in a similar spot? Many seem to remember a culture that didn’t happen. All Americans have never been equal nor free. History happened as Howard Zinn said it did; not for democracy but for wealth and power. Being great is something America aspires to but has never achieved. We’ve been lucky but far from great and maybe denial of that fact is depressing? Maybe States of America being heavily in debt, handing our wealth to Lawyers and crooks, is also denied? Liberals like to spend on feel good programs so that fact is also depressing. Depression leads to obsessions, compulsions, and abuse whichever political side one’s on.

Most women feel people should love animals and not wanting to be bothered by one is hard to understand. I gather victims of anxiety like being alone so that we keep such moments from happening. I have been deprived of that for two months and immensely enjoyed closing my door, again.

I have no formal rent history for thirty months and only SS income so, if she kicks me out, I’ll likely be homeless. Not as comfortable but free from humans and their expectations. I can live with that. One should embrace their facts as they are and let go of what they aren’t. Denying them upsets the calm. To change our facts requires serious ego management and that’s why we deny them. It seems easier.

Some thoughts on a long Summer day. Peace and good health.

rainmanjr 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My girl friend lives alone in an extremely lovely (handicapped access, too) senior citizen housing complex within walking distance of major shopping (but on a peaceful side street.) Her Total income is $868/month from SS. They even have a full-time savvy gal who gets her any assistance out there, like heat subsidies & food stamps.
No need to live somewhere because of $$!

Thank you. I will keep that place in mind if I need to move. Now or ever. I’m pretty independent and my friends should know that, by now, but somehow they seem to be shocked when I do shit. SMH. We Zen Priests don’t carry emotions for longer than a moment, it’s forbidden, and make the most of what is. Thankfully.

Sounds as if accepting the complications of age is hard for you.

"People suck."
This is news?

There is a great Albert Einstein quote about being alone, about how it is difficult for the young and delicious for the old. I can't remember exactly how it goes. I guess I could google it...

Nah!

Forgetting can be a blessing or a curse. Forgetting about bad stuff allows us to move on.

When someone on a hallucinogenic drug forgets who or where they are, what was a pleasant experience can suddenly turn into a bad trip.

You want to remember good things because that can help you maintain a grateful mindset.

If you have to fucus on bad stuff, you can at least remember that however shitty things are, they could always be worse.

(I doubt the parents of the slain children of Uvalde, Texas would agree.)

Some people just have a natural emotional buoyancy. They have a nack for accentuating the positive.

I try not to go too far in that direction. If you look at the world with a gimlet eye, you are less likely to be disappointed.

Boredom is a gateway to depression. I try to avoid it. I try to stay engaged. There is usually something to capture my interest.

There is nothing more fascinating than a train wreck, actual or metaphorical.

One thing that I find absolutely unhelpful in times of emotional distress are religious platitudes. They just make me angry.

(For example, saying that the slain children are in a better place now...that kind of rot.)

I wouldn't want to live in Texas. But Ukraine is a lot worse right now. I'm pretty much focussed on (riveted by) the slide toward fascism evident in the USA today, as illustrated in recent Texas legislation, and in the mad MAGA hatter belief that the 2020 election was stolen.

It's the same fascism at work destroying Ukraine. Looking at the USA and at Ukraine is like looking at the same train wreck from different angles and at different moments in time.

I hear tell of an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

These times sure ain't boring. Adding climate change into the mix is like packing your lunchbox with TNT.

If I was a lot younger I would be both terrified and outraged. Now I'm mostly just outraged. I'm certainly not bored.

I only had one bad trip and that was bad acid, and I took acid more than 100 times.

@Theresa_N I had one on shrooms and haven't done them since. Weed is enough for me, now, but I admire those who can do acid.
Thanks @Flyingsaucesir. Good comments. We do, indeed, live in interesting times.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670464
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.