Agnostic.com

7 2

My beat up and held together by duct tape Chromebook finally died. Now I'm using a windows 10 laptop. I had forgotten how much I hate, detest, despise Windows. It's horrible. How do people use this crap all the time? I'm getting a other Chromebook.

Secretguy 7 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use a Chromebook, and like ChromeOS a lot, despite Google's rampant data theft. I'm ex Apple user -- they are dead to me as a company, and have always loathed MS and Windows. Fools for using it. I bought a good quality HP Chromebook, though the screen is dim, hence I use a monitor. It's best to pay for a better quality chromebook. However, I also run Linux Mint on a small PC ( no windows) and love it, and encourage all free thinkers who need a computer to learn Linux and embrace open source. It's not very geeky any more and gives you a full OS, which, really ChromeOS isn't. I use my Chromebook for my teaching -- reliable, fast and all I need. But my goal eventually is to be Linux only and open source. Thank you Apple for selling me a badly made over-priced imac piece of junk, and, after being an Apple user since the 80s, facilitating me towards ChromeOS and now fully Linux and open source. Now Apple, get stuffed, and take your techno junk with you.

get a flavor of linux you like (maybe ubuntu or mint). then remove windows and go with linux and never look back.

Pay less than $300 for a 10" Samsung Tablet (which runs my printer, has a stylus, etc.etc.etc.) and uses Android, you will Never go back to Windows!
For just one major thing, Android Never interrupts you to Update...not Ever!

I am using one of the three chromebooks I have had. Two have been broken when I left them out on the table when our largest cat jumped on them. The first I did not know he could jump that far and the second was just because I had to go to the bathroom in a hurry. Each has Linux under the hood and it is easy to get it to work. I ha ve two desktop computers that both run Ubuntu, one will also boot Windows 10.

The build quality of Chromebook is very poor. I have an Asus PC that was Windows 7, I bought 11 years ago. The battery was gone and I lost the charger. I found a used charger in eBay for $10 and a compatible battery for $15. It's Intel i7 (1stgen) 750gbHD. I recovered it to out of box state and used a free Windows 10 upgrade. It took almost 2 days to get all the updates loaded. It works well. Old school hard drives are a little slow but they last forever. Solid state and Chromebook? Not so much.

barjoe Level 9 June 17, 2022

My chromebook was awesome..the abuse just finally got it.

@Secretguy They are fast because they're solid state on a chromium platform. I had two of them break in me, refused to get a third one even tho they're cheap.

Cheap Chromebooks have poor build quality, I agree. But pay a little more, but nowhere near as much as overpriced Windows and Mac books, and they are quite good. Mine is an HP.

. . . frck Microsoft, install Ubuntu Linux :

[ubuntu.com]

Agree totally, but I prefer Mint.

Changing computer programs takes patience. I use Windows 10 and struggle with updates, especially new photo programs. I resist calling programs "apps."

I lack the patience to fiddle-fart around searching for hidden commands. Called a friend to help me bypass the goddamn updated photo program.

Years ago, when I was forced to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I paid for a college class to learn the new Excel program. Students were bookkeepers and accountants. And me.

"Windows updated Excel with dozens of great 'bells and whistles' and hid them," the instructor said and laughed. She gave us a book that was impossible to read and tried to explain the updates. My mastery of Excel dropped 80%.

I learned enough to get by. It's maddening.

My hatred of 10 burns with the heat of 1,000 suns.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672180
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.