Agnostic.com

10 5

Tipping, what are your thoughts on this?

I'm currently in a temporary living situation. I'm in a hotel and although I don't get daily maid service my needs are met with new towels, etc when I need them. I'm a pretty clean and organized guy so it's not like my room gets very messy/dirty anyway.

So my maid service is scheduled for Sunday. I intend to leave a $10 tip for the maid. These (mostly women) have to clean up after everyone else and don't make shit doing it. I think it should be a given that maids in this regard should be tipped. Does anyone else do this?

FvckY0u 8 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Always

Always 20% or more, even if the service wasn't good, I think it's because they're not paid and treated well and some of us can be rude and very needy! I also agree that they need to be paid a better wage and its not fair that we have to foot it, it's a vicious circle!

I do not go out much, but when I do I tip usually 20%. At taco trucks they usually do not have a means to tip if one uses a card to pay, I tell the operator, usually the owner to add a couple of dollars to the amount. I find that tipping well provides much better service and much better conversation. I do not go back to places that do not give good service.

Always

bobwjr Level 10 June 18, 2022

The amount I tip depends on the service received and how much of a mess I left, but yes I tip in spite of it irritating me that t he staff isn't paid for their efforts adequately.

Absolutely and always . Yes 🙌🙌🙌

I live in Spain. Tipping is not normal. It is the person's job. They are NOT doing you a favour. Only in exceptional cases would one give a small tip.
Before anyone rushes in, guns blazing, with accusations of meanness I should point out that there is a reasonable minimum wage in force with social security. Any employer who fails to pay at least the minimum wage, or who fails to pay into the social security fund, faces steep penalties or even closure.

Petter Level 9 June 18, 2022

Yes I always leave something for the hotel staff, that way you know it goes to them and not the owners.

You can leave other stuff besides money, that you may not want to pack, such as books and local maps, just put a note on it saying. " Thank you, for you." So that they know it is not to be handed in, and always leave some money as well, since it looks mean, just to dump your junk on them.

I agree and that sounds fair, especially if you're saying they only clean your room on Sundays? Depending on where it is and the services performed, I usually leave $2 to $5 per day.

Lauren Level 8 June 18, 2022

Before I got the RV I Always tipped motel staff.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672277
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.