Agnostic.com

2 6

Today is "Fathers Day" in America. This morning I had to be at work at sunrise up on the north shore, so after work I stopped by a special place my dad used to like, Ke'e Beach in Ha'ena, the beginning of the Kalalau Trail.

My dad has been gone for over 40 years, and we did not have a warm relationship, but he's undeniably the reason I'm here and am who I am, quirks and all.

I like to come here to reflect... I like to see where the volcanic rock meets the ocean and contemplate how the destructive volcano actually makes way for new creation. The green lush hillsides and jungle along the trail into a hidden valley, the shallow bay for tropical fish to flourish, etc.

It's a good reminder that even after the ending of a tumultuous relationship, peaceful serenity with joy can be attained, by letting go enough of the past to move forward, while retaining enough to realize how good life is now.

1st photo is of Ke'e Beach with a view of Na Pali where the rugged 11 mile hike into Kalalau Valley is. My dad tried many times to hike all the way in, but never made it. I was actually supposed to hike in and camp with him when I was 16, but I had reasons not to want to do that, so I made myself sick in order to be excused.

2nd photo is of the hardened lava and sand at the edge of the shore.

3rd photo is of the swimming lagoon. It's teeming with colorful fish. I was planning on taking a quick swim, but my nostrils were assaulted by a burst of sunscreen spray. A visiting family were spraying sunscreen liberally on each other and the droplets were carried by the breeze to land upon the sand, the water's surface, and in my nose. I decided to just walk back to my car.

4th photo is just one of the many signs that ask visitors not to use various kinds of sunscreen and suggest wearing rash guards instead to minimize the use of sunscreen which is harmful to the reef. Wish tourists would leave their spray sunscreen at home.

Julie808 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People can be so selfish.

I think it's more ignorance and lack of awareness of the issue... Not enough time or patience to read the signs or listen to the advice of those who care. I will sometimes mention to them about avoiding the spray kind and tell them why. Even at my condo swimming pool, I mention that the spray lands on the pool decking and water, gunking up the pool filter and making the decking slippery, but they continue to spray, since that's the only kind of sunscreen they brought. I understand not everyone is aware, but I was feeling grumpy this morning due to lack of sleep. 😉

What are you doing, showing pictures like that could be considered a huge invite to some. Beautiful place, perhaps some day I will get to see it. Sorry about your dad, I guess Dad's have a problem with their kids. I know I have.

Don't worry I will not just show up, I hear the mosquitoes are large enough to carry off small children.

@dalefvictor Mosquitoes hang out in the jungle, not the beach, so there are ways to avoid them. 😉

Yes, if anyone from this site cares to take a vacation to Kauai, I do hope they will let me know so I can meet some bonafide agnostics!

Yes, not all dads are perfect and those who say they have perfect dads might not be telling the whole truth. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, haha, or at least gives us a reason to try to reform ourselves from what we were taught about ourselves!

@Julie808 If I was ever to come to Hawaii. I would find out where you are and stop to see someone who could show me the good places to be and eat. Much better than just going and missing all the good stuff.

@dalefvictor Yes, lots of places to go to avoid crowds and enjoy tasty food, good times and beautiful scenery! I know how to enjoy Kauai in a low key manner but tours and adventures are fun too. Each island is a bit different in things to do and see. I love visiting the other islands, but I feel most at home on Kauai.

@Julie808 I have to see which Island is which. Not something I pay attention to. That must be the big Island.

@dalefvictor All the islands are wonderful in their own way. Oahu is the busiest island with Honolulu and Waikiki, though other resort areas as well. Next busiest is Maui, with many lovely resort areas and upcountry beauty. The Big Island of Hawaii is one I'm not all that familiar with, since it's been 25 years since my last visit there. Lots of people love it. My island of Kauai is the 4th largest, and is just right for me. Smaller islands of Molokai and Lanai are a bit too slow for my taste, but fun for a quick visit. Each island has its charm. There are also cruise ships that go between all the major islands for a quick taste of each.

@Julie808 Apparently if I ever get there I will need your help as I got lost just looking a the map.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.