Agnostic.com

15 7

Do You Church?

I usually tell people "no thanks" when (yes WHEN) they ask me to join them at their church. There have been times I go but take notes... which I've been told is rude apparently...

Do you go with someone if they ask? Why? Why not? How do you reply?

WhatsInAName 6 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the architecture is worth photographing. Or a family member is getting married / buried.

A white British woman that I am, I was asked to go to a black apostolic church in the South Side of Chicago. It was a pricy trip. They sure did want money but the music was astounding, and the Pastor was funny and political and well into social justice. If I believed in god, that would be my church. No wonder why many black communities love church. So much more fun, kindness, empathy and activism.

Livia Level 6 June 15, 2018

If any of my friends/relatives/batchmates asks, then Yes 🙂
There is nothing wrong going to church unless they ask you money to donate hehehe 🙂

No.....tourette syndrome ????

Weddings and funerals

I don't eat chicken, it smells good though.

I might walk around a cathedral and be impressed by the grandeur and architecture but I don't want to listen to the bullshit. I'm also appalled that such places could be built while people were scratching around in the mud for crumbs outside,

Thankfully, no one I know bothers me to go to church with them.

Us this how St Peter denies you access to the pearly gates ???

R U kidding? I just thank them and say I don't believe that way anymore. If they push me, I might ask them if their church believes "god" controls everything, so if a child is hit by a car, it's god's will.
That would mean there was no need to lock their door, and they can let their kids play on the interstate.

The Church of Bacon almost moved to my neighborhood. It's not a church but a community of atheists and I got very excited because I thought that I could walk over there but then they changed their plans and moved elsewhere so to answer your question no I don't go to church. I would only have considered the bacon one

I've been asked to church and I say no thank you I'm an atheist. I don't like church. When I was real small it was okay because Jesus wasn't such a dick but when I got older it wasn't cool at all. There is no way you're going to get me into a church unless it's for a wedding or funeral and I still might not go.

I'm not sure 'jesus' is a dick, it's just that we can't believe all the things attributed to him.

@Ianwalker1980 no one has even proven that he was a real person. When I said what I said it was because when you're little Jesus loves everyone and is kind but later on in church he becomes a dick. He doesn't love everyone any more and isn't the nice guy we were told he was when we were young.

@SonderOpia I understand that the stories are unreliable in that they've been edited, mistranslated and some omitted, and that his name definitely wasn't Jesus, but I believe somebody lived a life remarkable enough to inspire a lot of writing. Just going off the current New Testament though he seems a pretty good guy, please give me some examples of him being a dick as the only one I can think of is when he had a tantrum about a fig tree. I've not done a great deal of bible reading.

@Ianwalker1980 Jesus or as his name was Yoshua has never been proven to be a real person as of yet. He is based off of other demigods. As far as him being a dick it starts out with him saying I come not in peace but with a sword. Just read the Bible.

No one asks. ?

Must be nice. They try to get me to go to get me to be a Christian again.

The Chicken joint occasionally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.