Agnostic.com

3 12

Alexandria wrote the sweetest thank you card.

I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school since-2006. I help first generation, mostly children of immigrants, write essays for college and scholarship applications. They are the first person in their family to go to college.

Alexandria won 25-scholarships totaling $64,009 and will start at the University of Washington in September.

"What key takeaway from our time together will you carry forward in life?" I asked Alexandria in May. I always ask this of students I mentor.

"Confidence," Alexandria replied. "I developed confidence in myself and in my writing skills." This warmed my heart. "You have grown tremendously since we met," I replied. "I have watched your confidence grow. I'm so proud of you!"

After we finished hand writing thank-you cards to scholarship committees (I addressed the envelopes), she sent me a thank you card:

Dear Kathleen,

I'm so glad I met you. You've taught me so much and I know I wouldn't be where I am without your help. Before I met you, I didn't think I'd be able to continue my education. Now I'm going to my dream school. You've helped me so much. Thank you for all you've done for me. -Alexandria

This is what makes volunteer work meaningful. To make a positive difference in a person's life. Alexandria plans to be a research scientist.

LiterateHiker 9 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You rock GIRL!! 🥰

Volunteering can be so enriching to you and those you help. You've done great at this!

You are making a difference in the lives of so many young people!

@HippieChick58

Thank you, dear.

This is the most rewarding volunteer work I have done.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672993
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.