Agnostic.com

9 6

LINK Bill Cosby find guilty

He'll finally pay for each count of indecent sexual assault

ashortbeauty 8 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's nice that justice was done. The real legal issue for an appeal is whether it was legally correct to allow all those women to testify about his "pattern of conduct". After the judge made that decision Cosby was sunk.

I think the real speed bump on this issue is a year or more away. I suspect there are hundreds, thousands, of well-known figures who practiced an entitled sexual lifestyle (maybe not as outrageously polar as Cosby, but still patently illegal) who are yet to be exposed... and worrying about it daily. Tom Brokaw? Oh, dang! Pres Trump? Well, yeah! There will be an endless stream of them because celebrity power status in the later-half of the 20th Century seemed to allow a level of permissiveness where everyone knew, but nobody did anything about it. Some of the perpetrators got the message 20-years too late while some of the victims even accepted it as a quicker way to get ahead... sleep with the boss, director, rising star, etc. We always knew the stories of the casting/hiring/promotion couch were not fairly tales. There will be lots more heartbreaking stories coming to light. We'll be mighty surprised and heartbroken with some.

Yes, with all those famous criminals being uncovered this is the one that has upset me. I enjoyed his show as a kid and found some of his sketches hilarious. Now this mars his work, which is a shame. But I'm glad there has been justice for those he wronged.

There still is some justice in the world...

I think there is a problem when the rich and celebrities are treated for most of, if not their entire lives, like they can do no wrong, as sooner or later most cross lines that for the rest of us would get the rest of us non celebrities (or non rich) immediately arrested.

I never was a fan of Mr. Cosby, but I do think we should be very careful before dismissing legal restraints such as the statute of limitations. There is a good reason for that to exist. We also have to be careful of blanket statements like "Believe the women," or "Believe the children," statements that are meant to appeal to our emotions rather than our reason. Let's not forget the '80's and '90's when "repressed memories" sent innocent people to jail or effectively wrecked their lives. Those miscarriages of justice were inflicted under similar emotional banners, "Believe the women" or, in the case of day-care center workers, "Believe the children." Most, if not all of it, turned out to be bullshit, but a great deal of damage was done. Let's not get caught up in the same mob mentality again.

My question is why it took so long for his crimes to be discovered and prosecuted.

I've wondered that too.

Shame, game, money

@ashortbeauty "Shame, game, " and POWER! 30 years ago, I worked for a man who was NOTORIOUS as a ''womanizer." We all knew you must never be alone in an elevator with him. I've no idea how many women he abused but I know this...I was among the first women promoted into that job and HE had the power to see that I was given raises, opportunities, access to ''the inside." I never told anyone for years about that time and I'm sure there were many other women who kept quiet, too...because I needed the job. You feel guilty about it, of course...but you stay silent, "if you know what's good for you."

@LucyLoohoo and that's exactly what we need to break. I'm sorry you had to ensure that monster ?

@LucyLoohoo That's terrible and sad

Wow! Talk about a legacy tarnished. So many people liked him, but underneath he was a monster for what he did to all of these women.

It was about time. Now how many others will be worrying about if they get found out. I am sure there are lots more. Power does strange things especially to men.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67453
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.