Agnostic.com

1 4

This could be the Atheist Anthem, somebody always wants to crucify us for their sky daddy in an attempt to please him.

SnowyOwl 8 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lennon's song Imagine certainly is an atheist or secular anthem. It is amongst the most played songs played at non religious funerals in the UK, for example, and that's a lot of funerals. For me, Lennon's other secular anthem is 'I Found Out', which is even more dismissing of religion. 'There ain't no Jesus gonna come from the sky.... ain't no guru can see through your eye...' etc. This song, Ballad of J and Y, is more an ode to his frankly unhealthy relationship with Yoko, so it doesn't work as any anthem at all to me.

A lot of people loved John Lennon or at least the image they perceived and a lot of people really did not like Yoko Ono and much of that had racial overtones to it, plus that she was a very strange person and could be quite prickly. In my opinion this song points out how people can be vilified for their beliefs, especially when it goes against established norms, so I think it works very well as an Atheist Anthem in that regard. Others may disagree and that's their right.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675347
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.