Agnostic.com

3 2

What's everyone's opinion in regards to treatment vs cure in regards to both physical and mental health?

Do you feel doctors address the root cause of problems or only treat symptoms? If you feel a doctor does address the cause, does that doctor then release the patient once the patient no longer has a problem?

FvckY0u 8 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been treated by both doctors of the body and doctors of the mind. In both cases I require to know why they are doing what they are doing. If I don't get satisfactory answers, I move on. For one of my ailments I had to read medical research papers to establish a diagnosis, this because the medical research has not yet reached a sufficiently satisfactory state to include in doctors' training. I now have to educate all new medicos that I encounter about that condition. I may require and have required treatment of both the symptom and the root cause for any given ailment.

While I am both compos mentis and have sufficient knowledge of my own conditions, my doctors are there to serve and advise me, and I am ultimately responsible for all my own decisions, not them. My current general practitioner has given me carte blanche to treat and manage my own hypertension.

@FvckY0u To answer your question, look at the United Kingdom's National Health Service. It's not going to happen in the United $tates of Greed for perhaps at least 100 years.

Absolutely not .
Will treat u , maybe , in acute care setting for 48 hr max . Rest of that depends insurance approval . And if u don’t have insurance , forget about it .
Exception : suicide ideation / harm to others ideation . An order from the judge can be obtained and we can keep these individuals for up to 48 hrs even against their will . Or until placement at behavioral centers .
Overall , poor treatment , money talks , and if there none to be made , good bye πŸ™
It’s heart breaking to watch and even worse to be a part of it .

Different rules apply in the United Kingdom and Australia. The practice of medicine for profit in the manner of the U$A would be unthinkable in both countries.

@anglophone right ???πŸ™„

By limiting the number of people who can become doctors, the medical profession has ensured that a some portion of doctors are mainly interested in the wealth and income. That de-emphasizes quality of care in a major way. The same for the insurance companies who, faced with more need than their service can supply, turn health care into an assembly line.

My wife's shrink destroyed our marriage with his incompetence (prescribing an anti-depressant that killed her libido, and not telling us the side effect or checking back).

I've found doctors to be rarely able to address the root cause of problems. Being able to cure many problems must await further research. Where a cure is known, they usually don't mind actually helping someone.

However, just two days ago a friend bitterly complained that the local hospital sought to release a homeless man from ER before even making a diagnosis! If they had made a diagnosis, they'd be compelled to keep him and deal with his many problems. If there's no money to be made, to hell with the Hippocratic Oath.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675771
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.