Agnostic.com

8 0

How to improve my immune system?

I am 47, exercise regularly and usually don't get sick much but since November I've caught everything that's come through my office. Flu that turned into sinusitis and bronchitis, then head colds, chest colds, another sinus infection and now a bit of a stomach bug.

Every time I get my routine back, I get sick again. I eat healthy and take a vitamin daily...what else should I do?

Frctnal 7 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me it's always been about metabolism, keeping it high keeps me healthy...

R1LEY Level 2 Apr 28, 2018

I take imuran plus prednisone

I take imuran plus prednisone.

How often is your office cleaned? My boss sprays the whole office every morning with a can of Lysol and we use disinfecting wipes on a lot of surfaces.

The office is a petri dish. The landlord rarely cleans the air filters. People come to work sick.

Make sure you are up to date on your shots, always get the annual Flu shot. The virus is evolving and getting more heinous year by year, the best way to build herd-immunity is to immunize everyone. Unless you get serious side effects from it, there are virtually no risks getting it for 20 bucks.
Make sure you visit your primary care provider at least once in 6 months for blood work and check-ups.
Avoid ERs as often as possible, if you're not on the verge of death, go to the urgent care or your family doc. People come to us to the ER with coughs and headaches and often end up with a C-Diff or MRSA.
Don't take Antibiotics, unless you REALLY have to!
And take care of your mental health as much as you can, there is evidence-based research that poor mental health can lead to poor immune-system effectiveness.
I guess that's all I can think of, I hope it didn't sound too....clinical! 😀

I can't do the flu shot. Vaccines make my arm swell up so much I can't use it for 10-14 days. And I run a fever for a week.

I hate antibiotics and unfortunately had to be on them three times over the course of all the illnesses.

The last is the hardest. Being sick bums me out. Especially the third or fourth go around. At least spring is here.

Excellent!

Something different, avoid foods that weaken your immune system in addition to making sure your body has the necessary minerals, vitamins etc to ensure it can fight back as needed. The immune system is complicated, antibodies, 5 types of white blood cells for different invaders. Check if there are patterns to your vulnerability? Or perhaps an underlying issue as yet unknown. Spleen etc. Zinc is good for your immune system, as is vitamin c, yet if you are on some medication that have a detrimental effect to your immune system they can be made worse by grapefruit and others. I suggest a complete blood test, including liver function and the various white cells and antibodies. If you have a good doctor, they can tell you from that if there are underlying issues. (mostly)

All my tests are normal. The only vulnerability I can put my finger on is my office. Its been one epidemic after another in there.

Try taking a high dose of Vitamin C for a couple of weeks.3000mg, then cut it down to 1 or 2 a day.

Personally I eat fruit for vitamin C, and take zinc supplements.

I also take Bee Pollen supplements, which will help you not be as sensitive to any pollen allergies.

Unpastuerized local honey is great for allergies. I eat some every day.

yep, vitamin C and zinc are big ones, your body needs more of both when facing an infection.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.