Agnostic.com

3 6

A big fuck you to Arizona lawmakers.

Arizona's governor signed a law that limits filming police

[npr.org]

Civil rights and media groups opposed the measure that Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed Thursday. The law makes it illegal in Arizona to knowingly video police officers 8 feet (2.5 meters) or closer without an officer's permission.

Someone on private property with the owner's consent can also be ordered to stop recording if a police officer finds they are interfering or the area is not safe. The penalty is a misdemeanor that would likely incur a fine without jail time.

There needs to be a law that protects officers from people who "either have very poor judgment or sinister motives," said Republican Rep. John Kavanagh, the bill's sponsor.

"I'm pleased that a very reasonable law that promotes the safety of police officers and those involved in police stops and bystanders has been signed into law," Kavanagh said Friday. "It promotes everybody's safety yet still allows people to reasonably videotape police activity as is their right."

FvckY0u 8 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My cell has a camera app that, the instant I start the camera, it phones my nearest ACLU chapter and sends the video to the chapter.

To test it, I wrote “THIS IS A TEST” on a chalk board and recorded it. I assumed the chapter could block calls from a prankster’s phone.

There haven’t been any public protests near where I live so I’ve had no reason to use the app.

Another cop will get in the camera frame and the recorder will have to move back another 8'. Then another as the cop moves back. Other than that I have no prob with an 8' perimeter.

I vehemently disagree.

@barjoe I get that a lot.

Bullshit! This law is all about protecting bad cops who are up to no good, or bullying innocent civilians. Unfortunately, with the current SC, it will undoubtedly be upheld if appealed. Previous courts would never have upheld it. Good cops have nothing to fear from being filmed. Next up, states and cities will not be allowed to require cops to wear body cams.The police unions will sue to overturn the body cam requirements, and the SC will rule in their favor.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676021
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.