Agnostic.com

14 3

Does anyone really see the two Korea's becoming one nation?

Marine 8 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

+No - something very strange is going on - I don't trust NK - he's up to something. China plus Korea males a formidable trading block. With America opting out of Pacific trading - it's open to an Asian monopoly.

Hard to say, only time will tell for sure.

simple answer, no.
more complex answer, even if they wanted to, China and the USA would not allow it.

Do you really think China cares much about USA? They'll put Korea first, especially now that America is retreating into Nationalism.

@Hobartian Neither will allow the Koreas to merge, for China that would put a potential US ally on the border, and the US would not want to lose South Korea. Not that they would co=operate on it.

@Rugglesby maybe China cares about the trillions US owes it. The whole scenario is extremely interesting. I think the two K's will merge but under what ideology? NK leadership is not to be trusted, Un is a psycopathic - he musn't be let loose

@Hobartian I think his haircut alone is cause for concern.

Hopefully something will work out. There's a lot of people caught up in the middle and they cannot enjoy even the simple pleasure of typing a message like I am doing right now and most of us take for granted

Germany went through reunification, so never say never. But Un is not trustworthy and he is self-serving. He's made overtures to enhance the N. The S would never agree to his leadership and he would never relinquish power of the N. The S doesn't appear to have militaristic tendencies so unless Un's line dies out, I doubt the S would make any attempt at overthrowing the N. I just hope they'll continue to make peaceful overtures and moving forward will leave side by side peacefully.

I think the big difference is that the two Germaies were never at war with each other. Even East Germany was seen as a Russian puppet, not a separate nation that tried to take over West Germany. It's more like VietNam re-uniting. And that wasn't pleasant.

@RonWilliam53 Totally agree...big difference!

It's totally possible. Kim Jong Un is very familiar with the west, and knows that uniting the peninsula would greatly improve his world standing, as well as economically open him up to other countries, even though they have minimal export value, and almost no money to import. This could be a ploy to remove sanctions and receive aid before executing a flip of the script, but it's too early in the game to tell.

The question is, would Kim be willing to give up power because he's got no chance in a democratic Korea.

@RonWilliam53 I don't think he would "give up" power. He would create a delegation that acted as an international body that communicated with the rest of the world, and the south, but still reported to him.

@Jake625 But that would negate the issue of Korea re-uniting. There's really no honest way he'd win an election in a united Korea, especially after the North Koreans saw what the South had -real food! I talked to folks who knew the Soviet Union and they all said it's collapse was imminent as soon as its citizens could visit the West and see what the western consumers had to offer. One told me his mother had a near breakdown the first time she went into a grocery store because there were too many choices. she was used to having one kind of anything, if anything at all.

If 45 stays away from it I sure do. This is a meeting of the minds and we have no business interfering. I found it hard to believe that 45 said he would meet with Kim and if the truth wasn't apparent then he was going to leave. Can you believe this statement from one of the biggest liars we have yet to see grace Political Office from which he has absolutely no experience what so ever. He is so disparate for attention that many were fearing he would start a War just for the publicity. I shutter to think of what he could do to make this look like it was his Bigly Moment.

I think Kim recognizes that tRump would be totally willing to cut and run from SK and the south Pacific to get a deal.And that he is easily flattered and manipulated.

@RonWilliam53 Or are the American People going to be manipulated again,and again. He will never show or any had intention of showing which is why he fired the latter to inject the former. Pre tel, where does SK and the South Pacific weigh into as being a matter of concern or relevance

@Nevermind345 China is happy to scoop up influence in their area as they expand it in other areas. tRump may indeed herald he end of American global leadership,for better or for worse. He's already handed the ME over to Russia and its allies. Though, in fairness, Dubya started that ball rolling in 2003.

Do you have access to a dictionary of any kind? I'm sure it would be helpful.

@Nevermind345 We, in Australia are in the SW Pacific. We are currently under covert attack fromChina - they're buying up huge slabs of our natural resources, doesn't matter what it is, ports, farms, big ones, they're buying big time. I hate to think what can happen if China aligns with Korea as a unified country, my country will be lost to unified Asia.

No one thought that Rome could fall. It is really hard to see into the future.

Doubtful. Definitely not as fast as E/W Germany. Give 50 more years.

No chance

Sure. NK uses this as a ruse then seizes power once the nukes are removed from SK.

I don’t think it’ll go like E/W German reunification after the Wall fell, but we’ll see.

I can see that if it happens under Trump then the North will likely rule both.

I don't think so - NK doesn't have the resources. That's why there'll be a re-union - what happens after that is the point.

@Hobartian I think I just expect the absolute worst outcomes concerning Trump, yet he often still disappoints by exceeding my worst expectations.

@snytiger6 It's beyond belief what's happening in USA politics. Talk about a slippery snake in the Oval Office - am waiting, waiting for Mueller to nail the bastard. Meanwhile, Chump sticks to the evangelicals who put him there and keeping him there. I saw on CNN last night that the reason why the WH Chaplain was fired - enough Republicans in the House want an evalgelical there, married with kids! amazing

Not for a long,m long time.

What could ever make you think that something positive could become of this "olive branch" as at least a gesture of good faith. This is not Israel were talking with or the Koch Brothers.

If they are to accomplish this feat it is going to take many years and I have a hard time seeing the NK leader giving up power he has been so keen on. In addition I cannot see a power sharing arrangement as possible. Finally I am sure trumpie will throw a wrench into it someway.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.