Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK The new 3-digit suicide hotline number is launching this weekend. Are states ready? : NPR

(Follow link for a 5 minute podcast.)

Starting this Saturday, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline will change from a 10-digit number to just three digits - 988. Now, this new shorter 988 number will be easier for people to remember and dial in the middle of a crisis. Mental health advocates hope it will ultimately transform the country's mental health care system. NPR health correspondent Rhitu Chatterjee is here in the studio to tell us more. Hey, Rhitu. ...

snytiger6 9 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jeebus H Kreise, don’t accidentally dial it.

Damn. I have plans for Friday. I'd be dialing 889 anyway. I'm terrible in a crises. That's why I have plans for Friday.

While I believe a 3 digit number is a good thing, it sure as hell isn't going to change much in most places. Almost everywhere cops are sent; and even in the most sedate situations they can be, and often are, assholes. Some will inflame the situations. I've had experience in both sides- working with crisis, and being in crisis mode myself. Maybe it was where I lived at the time - South Central Pennsylvania - but the cops were very often dicks. Once, I was asked to take a woman into the hospital; since she was a nurse, she wanted to go to a place slightly farther away. I had permission from crisis to do so. The cops argued with me; they wanted to handcuff her and take her 3 blocks away versus 8 miles I was going to drive. She didn't need that shit. She was sad and teary, but I trusted she was going to stay safe.
Done ranting.
I hope it helps.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.