Agnostic.com

34 9

Your thoughts on loud music in a restaurant?

The wife and I went into a restaurant the other day and they had loud music playing. We asked them to please turn it down and they told us they couldn't, so we walked out. When I go out to eat I don't mind soft music in the background, but when you can't hear each other talk, we leave if they won't turn it down. I don't understand why it's up so loud.

ebdb 7 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It usually annoys me unless its live music and the musican is putting in an effort not to be too overpowering (PA turned down enough that you don't have to yell over it to speak). I have no problem with live music being a little loud out of respect for the craft because my dad is a musician and he does sometimes play at restaurants still after retiring from teaching. Though usually you know if a resturant will have live music so you can decide if its for you or not.

What usually gets me is when someone feels they are qualified to play DJ and blasts music on their cell phone in a resturant. Even if its music I actually like I still think its rude and always sounds bad coming out of cell phone speakers. Even worse when you have the pleasure of a few makeshift DJs playing music on their phones all at once. Thats when I will turn around and walk out.

I can understand and expect it in a bar, but if If I were in a restaurant and had to shout my order I would more than likely leave. Most of the sports heavy places I eat at usually have the volume turned down to low on the dozen or more TV's playing.

I'd be right with you in waking out. They pump up the music so you eat and consume instead of talking. No way. I too would be outta there.

I agree completely. I applaud you for walking out. I hope they noticed.

Oops! Didn’t read your whole comment carefully...sorry. But surely this is not the only restaurant in your vicinity. Scope out the place before you go sometimes. And I agree with another poster: if there is a bar or karaoke, the music is what is considered the draw, and symbolizes to some “having fun.”

Depends upon the restaurant. I went to B.B.Kings in NYC, and the music was loud because it was supposed to be. At SOB’S, also in NYC, the music was loud, too, but it was supposed to be: we went to hear the music. At some restaurants, where you want to go for the food and conversation, if the music is too loud, sometimes you can ask the maitre d’ or manager to turn it down a bit. They will usually comply if they can with a reasonable request.

Don't go to a bar then. Loud music plays in there. I can't hear people talking.

It's kind of depends on the vibe of the restaurant... And time of day. I don't mind at all in the right mood and circumstances.

I prefer it, but I have misophonia and literally cannot stand a lot of the sounds involved with eating: forks against plates, wet food squishing around, and especially open-mouthed chewing, which it seems almost everyone around me does. 'Loud' music covers that noise and spares everyone else my anger.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.