Agnostic.com

11 3

I grew up listening to a lot of christian heavy rock bands. Although I don't hold my beliefs any longer I still really enjoy a lot of them. I've always felt a lot of emotion from those bands, like Underoath, Dead Poetic, He Is Legend..... that always interested me.

Jeremyeatworld86 4 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unfortunately, there's a glut in the market on screamo bands right now, so it can be exhausting trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Everyone seems to think I Prevail is the gods of the genre right now. I saw them open for Amaranthe last year and wasn't all that impressed.

Underoath is definitely a stand out though. Thank you for sharing.

I think you'll find it's the music that you enjoyed, rather than the lyrics 😉

I agree with those that have said music sticks with you. I’ve been a fan of King’s X since the late 80’s, and though they never overtly pronounced their Christianity in their songs, it was there sometimes. I saw them perform live this summer and was singing along with others to “Over My Head” because of the passion the music elicited from me, not because of any faith.

Music triggers memories and feelings, and if those are good, it makes sense you would still like the music.

Christian music from the 80s & 90s... Hmmm. Though not heavy metal, who remembers Petra? Russ Taff? Giant? Twila Paris? I knew some songwriters and producers: (yes, I'm a name-dropper) - Billy Simon (Amy Grant's "Baby Baby" ), Rob Carlisle (Butterfly Kisses - CMA song of the year), Don Sommerville, Brett Barry.

Wow - memories. OH! almost forgot - I did hear Stryper live at a JPUSA-sponsored concert in Illinois. Or was it Whitesnake...

Back in the 1970s, when I was in my 20s, I joined up with a Bible study group and was all into it for about a year. During that period of insanity, I listened to some of the Contemporary Christian artists of the time. I especially enjoyed "The 2nd Chapter of Acts" which I thought was a very good group despite their Christian message. Some of their songs are moving just from a musical perspective, if you can ignore the religious message in it. Such as their "Easter Song" --

Another group that was very cool was "Seawind." Funky stuff, and vocalist Pauline Wilson kicked ass! Listen to this one - "Angel of Mercy."

TO HELL WIIIIIIITH THE DEVILLLLL!!!....haha....oh man, I had a friend who would wait for you to have to use the bathroom after a night of partying. You know, USE the bathroom. He had speakers piped into his bathroom. He would wait to hear that door lock and sure enough Stryper was coming through those speakers. It was the worst/best!...haha

LOL!!!! Stryyyyypeeeer!

Heavy metal and Christianity. Never thought those two would go together.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Dec 6, 2017

Okay, seriously now. Studies seem to indicate that most of the tastes we have in music are formed at around 15 years of age.

JimG Level 8 Dec 6, 2017

That’s interesting. I had never heard that. My taste is rather eclectic. In fact I like pretty much every type of music except heavy jazz or thrash metal. Now I’m gonna have to try to figure out how weird I was at 15. 🙂

I like hard rock and metal. Although not this particular group, but for your enjoyment and a dedication to my fellow non-believers:

JimG Level 8 Dec 6, 2017

Are there two more dividing forces in extreme metal than Slayer and King Diamond? Some love 'em and some hate 'em.

It’s something to hear that.. I’d long assumed they were a ploy to infect young rockers with religion. Having grown up with the equivalent of C-rock’s father, Arena Rock - Aerosmith, AC/DC, Kiss, Zeppelin, Van Halen … if I caught the first religious lyric of some unknown band - F-That!

So, some had redeeming qualities..? I am experiencing how difficult it is to purge a band from your mind … as I’ve been attempting to avoid anything Nugent for around a year now. Caught him advocating ‘mountaintop removal’ for coal … and though more progressive friends had dumped him decades ago ..I finally trashed his CD’s & DVD…

Sorry for the rant, but I would like to know how you’re dealing with bands you’ve mentioned…

Varn Level 8 Dec 6, 2017

A lot of the bands I listened to talked about the struggles of living life in general. And that had an emotional impact on me. There's a lot of emotion in those songs about real life situations and I think that's why I relate. I still listen to these bands with the same emotion but don't get it from the Christian aspects of the songs.

Jeremy, as someone mentioned, and I’d agree, we develop our musical tastes around age 15. I suspect the human condition you found described in the C-rock is a major theme in Country music as well… Heck, I know people who like country simply because they can understand the lyrics. Actually, a number of the arena rockers I listed came out with religious songs, too … no doubt to ‘cash in’ or compete with those you’ve described. Thanks for your thoughts ~

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6813
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.