Agnostic.com

11 3

Has anyone asked you to challenge their beliefs?

Has anyone in your life had a literally crisis of faith and come to you hoping for you to push them over the edge? What do you say to people in that position? We're you assertivive or laid-back? And finally what was the result of these encounters?

kreaven111 2 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My neighbor is the most scientific believer I know. He works at a local church in some capacity.

We used to have regular discussions often, about the origin of the universe. He's totally cool with my atheism, and not once has he mentioned saving me. Believes good people go to heaven, regardless of the bible. He seems like he really wants to know what the origin is, and if it isn't God, then he wants to know that, too. Seems like it, anyway. He's never dismissive of my views.

My neighbors are super nice to me.

Not yet...my wife has accepted me now. Thats a start.

I am not a militant, I won't challenge anyone's beliefs. I am happy on my side of the road I has taken.

Tis confusion mister Gipsy ?

No one has asked me to challenge their beliefs but I believe that in time my words might be remembered and could challenge them. I don't debate. Trying to explain a sunset or why someone survived a car crash has nothing to do with a god. On the other hand, if you believe that your prophet flew to heaven on a winged horse I feel sorry for you. Equally so if you think a god dictated to Moses (or somebody) exactly how everything began and it was put in a book.

I usually direct them to a website called Jesusneverexisted.com

Assertive.

Yes but it was more as a show of acceptance from them. This was in a religious country and I'd come out as a non-believer to a couple friends. They could see the rationality as I used a mixture of philosophy and science to sway them but they wouldn't have allowed themselves enough clarity to doubt their faith. It is hard to break from something that's been a part of your identity since learning to talk.

No. Most people defend them against change.

nah, that would be like asking me to play Irish Stand Down with them. No contest.

Nope, no one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68150
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.