Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Google Maps Regularly Misleads People Searching for Abortion Clinics

(This is a prime example of what could happen if money influences search results.)

Chey was a 19-year-old college sophomore living near Orlando, Florida, when she discovered she was pregnant and decided to have an abortion. She didn’t have anyone she could ask for guidance, so she searched Google for a nearby clinic. “I wanted to find somewhere close to my partner, so I could tell him and bring him with me,” she said in a recent interview.

A Google Maps query for an abortion led her somewhere that offered the opposite: a so-called crisis pregnancy center—a type of non-medical organization with a mission to encourage women like Chey to go through with their unwanted pregnancies.

Google Maps routinely misleads people looking for abortion providers, a new analysis by Bloomberg News has found. When users type the words “abortion clinic” into the Maps search bar, crisis pregnancy centers account for about a quarter of the top 10 search results on average across all 50 US states, plus Washington D.C., according to data Bloomberg collected in July. In 13 states, including Arkansas, South Carolina and Idaho where the procedure is newly limited, five or more of the top 10 results were for CPCs, not abortion clinics. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those CPC clinics very purposefully disguise themselves, you cannot blame Google for their deceit.
As always, "buyer beware"!

Even when I was Catholic, I was pro-choice. I've never understood those that want to take away a woman's right to choose.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681671
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.