Agnostic.com

3 8

My personal contribution to good faith communication is a graceful exit.

Instead of leaving the conversation when I'm proven wrong, I will try to admit to that wrongness and thank my person for changing my point of view.

Conversely when a conversation will not or cannot reach mutual understanding, again rather than leave in a huff, or leave with a barb that you think is stinging but is really pointless, or the grossly overused "agree to disagree", I leave with the literal message like "this conversation is run its course, I thank you for the discourse, but I will leave the conversation and say nothing further".

In both cases, I strive to not leave the other person hanging be it by a literal goodbye or at least with a like or emoji to acknowledge that I've read their point.

TheMiddleWay 8 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole good/bad faith bit, especially when you apply the idea ti behavioural outcomes. I can be pretty good at "bad faith" communication when they want macca's (yuk 🤮) and I want pizza 🤩

Well said. The other point in conversing, for me anyway, is never using you statements. I do not say you're stupid, your idea/opinion is stupid, I don't denigrate the other person's view or thinking, ya know, the ad hominem approach. The minute that approach crops up I'm done, that is the time I will just leave.

@TheMiddleWay HAHAHA! A good bullshit-o-meter helps. I don't get riled up, I call it out and they are the ones riled up. Thing is many times when a woman does it she's a ball bustin' bitch. 😇

so gracious. lol

@TheMiddleWay you are a respectful and and decent sort in my opinion. it has been a worthwhile endeavor to engage you. lots of respect for you, but I'm still a joker.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.