Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Some insurance companies dropping Florida customers with solar | firstcoastnews.com

...Lately, when Floridians want to put solar panels on their home, some home insurance companies are saying goodbye and canceling the policies.

"Sometimes the homeowners only have 30 days to find replacements," Rebecca Houpe of Ancient City Insurance said.

She's seeing this over and over again in the last year or so.

In addition, some insurance companies that have covered solar panels in the past, are no longer writing new policies.

St. Augustine Insurance agent Doug Wiles is President of Herbie Wiles Insurance. He told First Coast News that insurance companies may be shying away from solar panels because of a clause in some Florida Power and Light contracts that says any damage caused by the panels, "you as a homeowner are responsible to pay for all of that damage." ...

(Sounds to me like the utility companies paid politicians to pass legislation that would discourage installing solar panels, so they will continue to have a monopoly on production of electricity.)

snytiger6 9 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Having your insurance company drop you is a bitch. I got dropped because I accepted a bronze plaque that designated my house as historical, in the little town where I lived. Apparently, it is policy for some insurance companies to not do historical buildings. I understand that to a degree, however, in our case, the acknowledgement gave me no tax breaks or requirements on what I could and could not do to my property.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.