Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Spain: Gunman Euthanised Before He Can Stand Trial

This could never be policy on America. I'm not sure I support it. What do you all think?

barjoe 9 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've no problem with assisted suicide or euthanasia. However, this case does not only concern the ill person, it also concerns the victims. I think the victims should have been involved.

The main drawback is the victims' families don't get closure from the murderer, which is a philosophical moral dilemma for the justice system to resolve. Spain allows euthanasia, so why not allow a an indicted person that option too? He's saving the state the expense of a trial.

I think this was the most humane thing to do, and am pleased that they have such an enlightened law in Spain. It would serve no purpose whatsoever to keep someone alive to be tried when presumably it was a forgone conclusion that he’d be found guilty.. I can only assume the only reason anyone could possibly wish him to live, be tried and sentenced would be to want to prolong his physical suffering for as long as possible…that may be understandable, but barbaric in my opinion. I believe the law and the State should always set an example by being higher and more principled than that of the mob. The offender had acted heinously but the State by showing compassion in allowing him his wish to be euthanised showed that they held the moral high ground and were not swayed by baser instincts to inflict unnecessary pain on a fellow human.

With one leg amputated the other paralyzed, chronic pain and a murder rap... why not?

I personally don't think trials provide as much closure as people expect. In addition some people are actually retraumatized by them.

I have no problem with his euthanasia before the trial. I do hope the Spanish system is providing mental health care for the victims.

I think they should have granted his request following the trial. The victims also have a compelling right to be heard so this was a miscarriage of law.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:683133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.