Agnostic.com

3 6

Finally got to go aboard a vessel I had been trying to tour for years. The W.T. Preston is what’s known as a ‘snag boat.’ [en.wikipedia.org] I’m sure this kind of boat was common across the country where ship traffic is along rivers. This boat is displayed in the mainland city (which is also on an island), Anacortes and is an amazing ship with three deck levels. A listing of its crew showed several sailors served for years including the diminutive cook who served for 50 years. We were told everyone had to be nice to the cook as he is responsible for the meals. For some pictures go to: [dieselduck.info]

JackPedigo 9 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reminds me a bit of a paddlewheeler I worked on. Also an original wooden hull retrofitted.

Wonder how many snag boats were on the Mississippi.

Weird to see it on land, she's a beauty!

The first boat was built in the late nineteenth century. River boats are primarily flat bottomed and often hit things floating in the waters. This last one was built in 1929 and originally had a wooden hull. It was retrofitted with iron and was used until 1981. Around here there is no longer any need for them so it was retired and later preserved as a part of the area's maritime museum. Still, it was pretty amazing to see how technologically advanced it was.

Also, in these waters the hull would be covered in barnacles.

@JackPedigo The engine/steam room must have been amazing to see when it was under power.

@silverotter11 I was convinced it used coal but it did not. It used a form of diesel oil and the boiler was long and created a form of uncondensed steam. There was a young woman who led the tour (we were the only ones there so we talked a lot). She had graduated with a degree in European history (same as I have) and was set to travel to Europe. This was in 2019 and the pandemic ruined her chance. She was also passionate about this boat and was heavily involved in it's preservation.

Neat-- the dedication to keep waters/ transportation "flowing" deserves a tip of the hat.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:684796
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.