Agnostic.com

3 4

This poses an interesting question about ownership of space junk re-entering Earths atmosphere which will be an increasing problem in years to come.
One day this junk will either damage property or kill/ injure someone so what will happen then?
[msn.com]

puff 8 Sep 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whomever put it up owns the debris and will be responsible for damages. So called "law" will probably shield them from that responsibility, though.

The real problem is that it may reach a critical point and render NEO almost unusable. Another problem where responsible international diplomacy is required to solve it ... so not much chance with the west still trying to rule the globe by fiat. [skeptoid.com]

China has been the least responsible regarding space junk returning to Earth. Very unlikely to drop in high population zones so they just don't care.

Not many care it seems. Everyone's putting satellites up now, getting crowded up there.

@puff NASA has criticized China for not sharing data on the descent of their debris [theguardian.com]

@barjoe NASA is a shadow of their former self. Can't even get a person to/ or retrieve from space now. I'm sure "5 eyes" assets are able to track space debris without Chinese input, not that they would do anything with the info unless it was heading for some military asset.
NB From a strategic point of view, I doubt NASA would share tracking info with China either as that will reveal your capabilities.

@puff NASA does share information regarding the trajectory of falling debris. I assume China would if they felt there was a danger, if not they don't bother. There's no secret

@barjoe It's why I strongly support the ideal that near space, any space should not be militarised. Trump's "Space Force" scared the shit out of me, recalling Ronnie Raygun's "Star Wars" days.
Have not seen any back peddling on that POTUS Trump initiative though so not all Trump was bad according to democrats (not what they say, what they do). Space Force is still a thing with a budget as far as I am aware.

@barjoe You are probably correct, but may be a case of China will share when it wants the US to know what it is capable of. Bit like Russia with their hypersonic missiles; That capability would have been Top Secret until it was decided that it would be more advantageous to let the opposition know your new capabilities.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:686256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.