Agnostic.com

36 3

Does anyone else hang clothes on a line to dry?

The fresh scent and the money I save are my reasons. Anyone else?

tioteo 8 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here in Thailand, I throw my clothes in a big plastic basin in the shower area, fill the basin with water, add a bit of laundry soap, stir with my foot, let it all soak for 20 minutes, then walk on it again, dump out the water and rinse.

I then throw the clothes over a rack to drip dry in the big shower area. After about two hours I put the clothes on hangers, inside out, and hang them on the balcony to dry on a horizontal PCV pole suspended near the balcony wall.

On a sunny day, the clothes will be dry by late afternoon, but during rainy season I bring them indoors to finish drying overnight, since I use a ceiling fan.

Adapting to the environment: I like that.

All my life, sheets especially smell so much better air dried outside.

Know what you mean.

Yes, every thing in all weather except below freezing or during several daysof rain.

Whenever our crappy weather allows it. Wind dries faaaast, and sunlight is a natural bleach.

Yes, here is the Ka`u district of Hawaii with lots of sun, cloths drying in an outdoor line makes economic and environmental sense.

Never. I have asthma and allergies. I had an ex who was determined to do this. To me they smelled like pollen, BBQ smoke, and lawnmower exhaust. Towels are stiff and crispy like they have been starched. I rewashed and dried all of my stuff - I am more than happy to pay extra.

This is how much pollen gets on my car in less than a day. Never, ever.

Since I've remarried and moved, no. I broached the subject of putting up a clothesline this spring. Not overwhelming response. I loved the smell of the clothes, the absorbency of the towels, saving energy. I live in Michigan, too, so it was a seasonal thing, but was always a sign of spring to be able to get those clothes on the line.

Yes, although I did dry a couple of loads back toward the end of February.

In the summer time I do. I love the fresh scent, especially with my bedding.

No, I think they smell bad when they dry.

Absolutely ! sun, wind, clean air, how could you improve on that ?

Always, tumble dryers are not environment friendly. An older American woman saw mine and declared her grand mother used to have a clothes line! I can't believe that people in countries with good weather use tumble dryers.

only things that are too big for a standard load dryer

I used to, but I could never find a place to put the line where they didn't blow off and need to be rewashed

It's the normal thing in Europe. We mostly just use driers when the weather is too wet to line-dry things and even then, a lot of people just put them on racks in front of radiators. Solar- and wind-power are the latest as well as the earlest way to dry!

Good for you.

YES!! I've not used a dryer since I went off to college. It beats up your clothes and shrinks them. Plus, who wants to stand in line waiting on a dryer?? Hang 'em up. It's the only way to go. My best clothes line was under a screened-in porch where the birds couldn't sit on the line🙂

3 seasons outside and by the woodstove in the winter. Cloth diapered 2 babies too bit it's been a while. Sometimes I go to the laundry mat as a special treat, but it seems wasteful to use a tone of energy when they can just dry.

MsAl Level 8 Apr 28, 2018

yep, just done that, it is the only way we do it here,
I bought a clothes drier when we had tiny babies,
I have never had one myself since.
Nor have I ever used a dishwasher (have one, wouldn't use it, don't know how)

Just a load of bath towels. They're kinda heavy for the dryer and take a long time to dry.

Yes......but it isn't a real 'clothes line' it is one of those stand up air dryer/clothes hanger thingie's from Target that I place outside to air dry my clothes. I hate clothes dryers and only use them to dry bed linen type stuff.

When I moved back over to my old house, one of the first things I did was redo my clothesline.

I have a clothes rack that is on my balcony.

Yes, as often as possible.

No. I use an airer indoors.

@iamjc Sometimes an extra rinse and spin will help that

Not a clothesline, but on hangers on the door frame in the house near a window.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68735
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.