Agnostic.com

6 10

"There is experience, and then there are the stories we tell about it. At its best, religion is a set of stories that recount the ethical and contemplative insights of our wisest ancestors. But these stories come to us bundled with ancient confusion and perennial lies. And they invariably harden into doctrines that defy revision, generation after generation. The great pressure of accumulating knowledge---in science, medicine, history --- has begun to scour our culture of many of these ideas. With the force of a glacier, perhaps, but at a similar pace. The exponential increase in the power of technology brings with it a commensurate increase in the consequences of human ignorance. We do not have centuries to wait for our neighbors to come to their senses." - Sam Harris

elgato3141 5 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sam richly deserves his reputation as a thoughtful skeptic.

Having learned to meditate from buddhists, I appreciated Sam's take on it free from the mumbo jumbo. I selected the quote from his ending comments. I feel it puts a good context on ancient wisdom that can be gleaned from religious texts and teachings by filtering out the mumbo jumbo magic.

They call you names for being awake where I’m from….👀

"Our wisest ancestors"? Who might they be in the context you reference?

The Buddha maybe? Or Lao Tzu? The list is no doubt pretty short! 😉

@p-nullifidian I was thinking Alfred E. Newman.

@Alienbeing “What, me worry” is an excellent philosophy! 😂

Thanks, sounds like a worthwhile read!

Oh hell yeah! A magnificent book! Well...besides that quote that is like reading greek, and that his discussion of religion is NOT what that book is about... it's about awakening...with meditation. Learning to free yourself from your thoughts, which we confuse as "who we are". Effectively, you are not your thoughts. Thoughts and emotions happen...and how you interpret them, deal with them or react to them is a choice. Harris makes this clear.

To Harris's book, add Kurzweil's "How to create a mind", and some recent Jon Kabat Zinn lectures, AND a healthy mindfulness practice, and you've got a damn near a complete recipe for how to Stop being anxious, and start living in the moment and be free! Awakening from the sleep that so many are in...or, at least beginning to awaken from being a slave to a brain that we mistakenly fully identify as.

These philosophies and information are the backbone of my private therapy/counseling practice! (LCSW). Sam Harris, Jon Kabat Zinn, and Ray Kurweil pretty much make up how I understand "what is consciousness" as well as how best to live with a human brain, and how not to be ruled by that brain's unconscious/unawakened meanderings. They teach you why you are not just your thoughts, and how to awaken. Fucking priceless info! A ticket to the buddhist awakened state, with no mumbo-jumbo or belief required. Just neuropsychology.

Instead of this book, I prefer the 1-1.5 hr lecture by him about this book that gets the major points across. Harris's concepts are magnificent, and alight major parts of the journey of awakening.

Here are links to the vids mentioned. I suggest just listening. Zinn is good to watch, but, I caution everyone that Harris can be off-putting, depending on how well your autism-spectrum analyzer is calibrated. Just listening, it's no problem, other than maintaining concentration on some dense concepts.

Kabat Zinn's deep talk (skip the intro):

Sam Harris's "waking up" overview lecture:

What is your opinion of the book Chatter by Ethan Kross? I just started reading it. I look forward to watching these videos soon. I prefer mindfulness focusing (I'm not really meditating IMHO) over the 4-7-8 method to fall asleep. I look forward to your thoughts!

@JGal I have not read that one! I often use minfulness to go to sleep too, and also really dislike 4-7-8 stuff, though it may be helpful to some.

With the prevalence of mindfulness in society at presence, there are many books which are magnificent. Actually, there have been many books over the last 50 years, with titles like "how to stop having negative thoughts." Other more recent books might be something like "the subtle art of not giving a fuck". They are all along the same lines.

I particularly appreciate the three that I mentioned because they each bring a special perspective, and it's a long held perspective by them that is very focused. None are geared toward the masses, and they allow you to think your way through the concepts, without being prescriptive, or claiming that just one area of life can be benefitted (like negative thoughts). These writers take it to all of life, and every thought you have, and your very existence as a being.

A breakdown:

Kurzweil's book "how to create a mind" is actually about, if we want to create sentient AI, we should start discussing/trying to piece together how our own sentience/brain works. It's like a user manual for anyone with a brain, but it does imply some HUGE things about the nature of consciousness and our experiences, that cannot be unseen after you read it, and that makes mindfulness practice make complete sense, by having some solid sections about "thought experiments" about consciousness, backed by scientific research. He talks basic neuroscience from one neuron, up to billions, then jumps into the consciousness section, which will blow a few circuits in your mind. His book is like the difference in driving an automatic, but then learning how to drive a stick, and understand how the engine+transmission works. It just clarifies so much and changes how you drive.

Kabat Zinn's books and lectures are all just calls to meditate. Whether he is guiding meditation on youtube, or giving a lecture, hez's talking about "why meditate" with the same vibe as Bob Ross/Fred Rogers. To listen to, or read his works, is a meditation in itself. He guides by example.

Harris is also talking about "why meditate," but from a philosophical and neuropsychological background. He's more technical, like Kurzweil, but his technicalities are specific to "why meditate".

These people just lay it all out, and cover all of the angles, with no wasted time on telling you how to do it. There is no shred of pop-psychology or bs in any of them.

I've found the myriad of other books can be very helpful, but when you find a few that truly fence-in a concept, the other books fall short in their scopes. Listen to the two vids, and be mindful of your attention. You'll see what I mean.

@APaleBlueDot thanks for the expanded summaries. I look forward to listening to both videos!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687591
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.