Agnostic.com

8 2

So, *are* we becoming a nation of "snowflakes"?

It seems that more people are taking offense to all sorts of things regardless of historical context. Some people at least are becoming more unwilling to deal with anything they find disturbing or challenging. It is most worrisome on college campuses, but it is also leaking out into the world of people who actually work for a living. Are we headed for a world where we only have to see things that are comforting and affirming to our world view?

SKDeitch 7 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really don’t like that term, but yes we are more easily offended. I don’t like the term because it is used by those on the far right of the political spectrum.

I'd say we've already become a nation of snowflakes. I've seen this trend happening for a while now. I don't think it's a political thing so much as a broader American culture thing. I say this because I grew up in a rural conservative Christian community. I was never abrasive with my viewpoints, but if they differed from what everyone else thought, they whined and pouted and wanted nothing to do with me.

I thought this was a phenomena unique to conservative Christians, but it seems to affect many people from all different political and religious ideologies. Which leads me to believe we live in a culture of entitlement where everyone believes that their opinion is better than another person's facts, and challenging their opinion is a cardinal sin. It all arises from intellectual laziness and/or cowardice, in my opinion. But hey, I could be wrong, because my opinion is just that- an opinion. And at the end of the day, opinions are better to let go of than to cling to.

I do believe many people are becoming more and more sensitive, yes. This can be good and bad it's a matter of context.

Snowflakes? ... No. Rocks? ... Yes.

I think that society used to encourage the growth of SJW's and liberal cucks but now, society seems to be moving forward in a new direction. People are starting to realize that we aren't all left or right wing extremists. Most people reside in the middle and are conservative or libertarian. They just want to have a live and let live philosophy about life.

The time of "snowflakes" has peaked and they will probably be heading in a downward spiral. Hence Brexit, Trump, etc. A lot of my friends and I are ahead of our time. We all have differing political views and cultural values. But we put those aside and just be friends. I've had massive fights about politics and ethics with my friends but at the end of the day we have to say "Good discussion, now lets go grab a beer".

My people who think for themselves understand that taking offense is the individuals choice. I've had instances of racism directed towards me but I just kept walking. I was more concerned about what was for dinner than what a racist said to me. That's exactly how you get rid of racism. Stop reacting to it. If you do nothing and say nothing then eventually the knob who is being racist to you will just sound like a retarded amplifier on repeat. They look like a fool because everyone's wondering "Who is that idiot talking to?". Thus you make the racist lose interest.

My friends and I were raised properly with respect, discipline, manners and courtesy towards others. A lot of these snowflakes weren't raised on these values because of instability in the home and social media crazes. They were raised by phones instead of parents.

I think we need to start teaching our kids proper values instead of allowing the mass media and social media to tell them how to think, feel and act in society. 1 massive issue is the idea of rights. We don't have rights, we have privileges. Because if you act like an uncivilized person, you are no longer allowed to have your privileges of living in a free society.

We will be getting better but it will take a long time. I recommend reading the book Starship troopers. It starts out slow but around the middle of the book where he mentions Juvenile Delinquents it really goes through the reason for societies downfall and the way that it can be saved. (In the book at least)

So you're saying that some people are feeling offended, but others are not? To be honest, I'm not sure what you're trying to say!

they probably always existed they just have a platform/the internet to actually get together and complain now

Yes, many are comfortable numb.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.