Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Why Are Boys Underperforming So Badly In Education? - YouTube

We really should be paying attention to this but the social focus is on girls. The attitude is that the age of male domination is over so boys don't matter. In fact, they hear little more than scorn and ridicule for adult males (especially white ones) so are gaining little esteem for themselves. I think this is already playing out poorly for society but it will grow worse unless humans learn to stop being tribal.

rainmanjr 8 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree. Boys don't matter any more.

In the UK back in the nineteen sixties and seventies, boys used to outperform girls at school. Then it was decided that it needed to be balanced, and someone noticed that boys performed better in competitive environments and tests. So the methods of measuring success at school were changed from highly competitive tests, to a more general overall method of assessment, and it worked. Girls soon passed boys, so much so that they now do far better here too. So much of the ways in which schools are run and work assessed is completely artificial, that you can adjust the system to produce any results you want. If you want boys to do better just employ more male teachers as role models, and create a competitive environment, if you want girls to do better do the opposite.

I think we should return to boy schools and girl schools.

@rainmanjr I am a big believer in single-sex secondary schools. It saves all the posturing and hormonal distraction for elsewhere, and there is no bias as to whether more of one sex than the other gets to participate. Teens can find plenty of ways to socialize outside school. When I was a teen, we had a “nightclub” we could go to. It served soft drinks and had snacks available. I think it closed at 9 p.m.. There should be safe places like that for kids to go to today. My son attended an all-boys secondary school and graduated with a 5.0 average, due to the number of Advanced Placement courses he took. My daughter’s graduating class had only 4 boys in it…her school had been all-girls until she attended. I did pity those few boys. (It has been fully co-ed ever since.)

@MsKathleen I couldn't agree more. I think the forcing of gender mixing has been a mistake for education and would be for many sports (not all). I was planning on doing the Air Force since entering HS so made little attempt at social life. Very few, if any, encouraged me to change behavior. I had a couple of jobs and did not attend Prom so not a great authority on the subject but it was pretty similar. Equality is very important for legal/personal/financial reasons but not always advisable in a competitive arena. One area is self-confidence and those who possess more of it have an unfair advantage (but an advantage none-the-less). Males and females are different in many ways and some are distracting for males, as well.

Interesting.... women just needed a chance to shine.

Doing it earlier than boys is probably due to need for raising kids. Boys only had to be strong and agile so the frontal cortex develops slower. Social treatment of women may have come about because of that time difference as food became easier to acquire and men began to take greater part of planning and building type work. Muscle counted for the building, especially, so males became dominant and protected their place. It was all very innocent, at first.

@MsKathleen That's true, although females take more time off so were considered less stable. (I'm nearly certain someone will accuse me of comparing women to a horse now). The times were different, and there was truth to that, but times have changed. I'm pro-equal pay for work. In fact, I'm pro-equality and would have sent The ERA to Congress despite being turned in late. Sadly for women, RBG disagreed. I think other women have been more of a problem for equality than men but both are guilty of preventing it.

@MsKathleen My reply covered that. Again, the post is about later development of the frontal cortex giving boys a disadvantage in education. It is not about women's suffrage or pay.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:689265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.