Agnostic.com

4 5

Welcome to Tasmania! Man placed under guardianship order after wife's death says his rights were 'completely taken away'.

Please identify where in this world it is not happening. IMO it is happening worldwide.

[abc.net.au]

FrayedBear 9 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gosh that's frightening. I'm moving in with my elderly father in a couple of weeks. He drives me nuts sometimes but I wouldn't have him put in one of those places.

There is a danger here. It is basically imprisonment for profit. When you own a facility to retain the "demented" for a profit, everyone looks demented.

Ain't capitalism wunnerful? <sarc>

Tasmanian guardianship laws prevent the man from being identified. Did anyone read that part of the story? Think for a minute on what it might mean.

It means the man's right to privacy is being protected.
What do you think it means?

That’s absolutely appalling.

Hopefully that kind of situation where a person is held in a care facility without explanation wouldn’t happen in the UK.

There’s specific legislation around deprivation of liberty plus ensuring best interests in England to ensure that vulnerable people accessing Social Care services have the right to be informed about and choose what care is delivered. Whether Social Care staff are adequately trained by the Council that they work for and follow the guidelines is a different matter. And is possibly a post code lottery.

The Council I worked for was a good employer, staff were required to have regular refresher sessions on key Social Care laws. Plus management reviewed any decisions around provision of care.

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards. (DoLS)
DoLS ensures people who cannot consent to their care arrangements in a care home or hospital are protected if those arrangements deprive them of their liberty. Arrangements are assessed to check they are necessary and in the person’s best interests. Representation and the right to challenge a deprivation are other safeguards that are part of DoLS.

[scie.org.uk]

So that's why so many elderly were killed by covid nor allowed to be removed by family?

@FrayedBear That wasn’t because of legislation, due to the ineptitude of the British government at the time.

@Zealandia I see no difference between inetitude thing lack of legislation. In either case people ended up dead because they were incarcerated against their will.

@FrayedBear Difference of perspective, either way the British government was responsible for many people dying in the initial stage of the Covid pandemic.

I think there’s an inquiry going on about that, but don’t think it’s going to change anything. People have had enough and are moving on.

Same thing happened with the 1918 flu, everyone just went on with their lives afterwards without looking back.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:689482
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.