Agnostic.com

9 24

Look what I made today! Pear upside-down gingerbread cake.

Recipe is from Cooking Light.

Last Saturday, my daughter was in town with a girlfriend. I took them to the Farmer's Market. Got carried away and bought:

1. six organic ripe Italian Butter pears;
  2. seven organic crisp, juicy Asian pears;
  3. one ripe cantaloupe; and
  4. too many slender green beans.

Oops! That's what I get for shopping hungry.

Trapped indoors with hazardous-level smoke, I made this delicious cake. It's fun to arrange the pears artistically.

Three massive wildfires are burning in mountains above Lake Wenatchee, in extremely steep terrain. The fires won't be out until it snows in the mountains, hopefully in November or December.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, look at that masterpiece you created! Your pear upside-down gingerbread cake looks absolutely scrumptious. I can almost smell the warm spices and taste the sweet pears. It's amazing how a little kitchen creativity can turn unexpected Farmer's Market purchases into a delightful treat.
Speaking of delicious desserts, have you ever tried making different flavors of cheesecakes? I recently stumbled upon this cool website called cheesecake.cz, which has a mouthwatering collection of cheesecake recipes. You might find some interesting ideas to add to your baking repertoire."

Seems like a yummy combination of flavors. Just right to get your mind off the smoke outside if the gingerbread scent lingers in your nostrils a bit.

Looks yummy 😍

Hah! I just baked an upside down banana cake.

As a former firefighter I've seen thosse helicopters up close to a house I was protecting. The planes are amazing too.

You cooking looks great! I know it's frustrating about the smoke and the prognosis on it. Take care of yourself!

Interesting combination of items. Is the crust from the green beans? I have an issue with gluten and stopped making pies because of this issue. Would like to start again.

@JackPedigo

I'm going to steam the green beans.

I sprayed the pan with Pam, followed by sugar to coat the pan. Gently toss 4-5 small sliced pears with one tbsp. lemon juice and 1/2 tbs. freshly grated ginger. Arrange the pears in the pan.

In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup brown sugar with 1/4 cup butter until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup dark molasses, and 1/2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger.

In a small bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger, and 1/4 tsp. each salt, dried cloves, cinnamon, ground mustard, and freshly grated nutmeg.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix gently. Pour batter over pears. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

@LiterateHiker That looks delicious.

@JackPedigo I don't use flour anymore in baking. I use old fashioned organic oats. No gluten. They can be ground to a powder if required. I've made cakes, muffins and cookies, all with an oatmeal base.

@TheoryNumber3 I also use oatmeal a lot. I have several recipes including some oatmeal, raisin chocolate nib cookies and oatmeal bars. My problem are eggs and especially dairy. Might try using plant based dairy and Chia seeds for the eggs.

@TheoryNumber3, @LiterateHiker Thank you for the recipe. The green beans are interesting and worth a try. My problem are eggs and especially dairy. Might try using plant based dairy and Chia seeds for the eggs.

@JackPedigo Here's an easy recipe for you: Banana overnight oats. Absolutely delicious!

In a jar mix 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup almond milk (I use Califia Coconut Almond), 1 tsp chia seeds. Optional: I also add 1 tbsp ea of sugar free maple syrup and 1 tbsp peanut butter powder. Mix well and stir in 1 medium sliced banana til thoroughly mixed. Cover and refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hrs). Makes a great breakfast. Or snack. Or dinner 🙂

@TheoryNumber3 THANK YOU. I am always looking for new recipes especially for breakfast. I have two standards I use one using 1 part Bob's Red Mill GF hot breakfast, 1 part oats, 1/2 parts steel cut oats, a bit of coconut sugar, a TBL of shredded coconut and a cup of Flax Milk. Let it sit overnight and heat it up. A second one is similar but different. I have copied this one and will try it. Just need to find out where to get p nut butter powder.

@JackPedigo It's called PB2 and it's in most grocery stores in the PB aisle. You can reconstitute it with water, or use the powder as a flavoring. And it's made from de-fatted peanuts (not sure how you put a peanut on a diet 🙂

@TheoryNumber3 We have a great health food store here so I will look there BUT I for one need more fat so will use the real thing. Also, it might be better to use quick oats instead of regular oats. I have both. Wonder how the bananas would turn out if I heated the mix a bit.

@JackPedigo I don't think quick oats will work as well but you can try it. And I doubt you'll
find PB2 in a vitamin store. It's a grocery product. Most major grocery stores carry it. You can use regular peanut butter. Don't mix it in thoroughly. It's better when it's swirled in. I've done it both ways. I'm on a low fat diet so I prefer the powdered peanuts.

Just found this: Leave instant oats behind when making overnight oats. Since they are so small, they’ll actually just end up almost dissolving in the liquid. Steel-cuts oats can be used but expect them to very chewy and fairly dense.

@JackPedigo And BTW, overnight oats is made to be eaten cold

@TheoryNumber3 Actually, while writing it down I found I have almost the exact recipe (it's my Saturday bkfst.) The difference being dried cranberries for the bananas and Flax instead of chia. Also, it uses the real P-nut butter but I will look for the powder. We have an organic store here and on the mainland, there is a co-op in Anacortes and an even bigger one in Bellingham (I prefer Bellingham as there's also a TJ's and my sister lives there. I like it warm and the quick oats seems to work better (but maybe I should give the normal oats a try). Again, I need the fat but the powdered p-nut might be good for other things like oatmeal cookies.

Upside-down cake would be slurpy, right-side up with coffee!

Looks yummy!

Are the fires a regular occurrence, a one-off, or something that’s only started happening recently?

@Zealandia

Due to climate change, Eastern WA summers are hotter and drier. Late-summer lightning (with no rain) ignites dry timber. High winds spread wildfires.

In September 2012, we had 113 lightning strkes in one night. Smoke was so bad (1,200 AQI), my doctor told me to leave Wenatchee. I fled to the Olympic Penninsula for nine weeks.

Over 90% of fires in America are caused by humans, mostly men. Illegal fireworks on July 4 spring to mind.

A year ago, a jerk was welding in dry grass on the edge of town. The fire he started spread rapidly, driven by high winds.

Four water scooper planes from Seattle quickly put out the fires. Flying in a line, they scooped water from the Columbia River. The pilots' skill and coordination were remarkable.

@LiterateHiker Sorry to read that, appreciate you sharing that.

New Zealand is a bit wetter, however wildfires are an issue here too. The ferry I occasionally catch has reminder videos not to light fires when visiting the islands in the Auckland Hauraki Gulf islands and clearly explains the consequences.

I found the video….

We’ve got helicopters that carry water for fires here.

Plus there’s signs out in the rural towns indicating the fire risk. I noticed them during a recent road trip around Northland.

Just had the warmest and wettest winter ever here. At least the dams are full at the moment, (first time since 2017) so power and water supply is assured for the time being. There’s loads of hydro power here.

@Zealandia

Great video! Thanks.

We have helicipters that scoop water to fight fires, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:689626
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.