Agnostic.com

4 4

If you are from the U.S. are we living in the novel "It Can't Happen Here?"

By Sinclair Lewis 1935

Short Summary from Wikipedia:

In 1936 Senator Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, a charismatic and power-hungry politician, wins the election as President of the United States on a populist platform, promising to restore the country to prosperity and greatness, and promising each citizen $5,000 a year. Portraying himself as a champion of traditional American values, Windrip easily defeats his opponents, Senator Walt Trowbridge and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Though having previously foreshadowed some authoritarian measures in order to reorganize the United States government, Windrip rapidly outlaws dissent, incarcerates political enemies in concentration camps, and trains and arms a paramilitary force called the Minute Men, who terrorize citizens and enforce the policies of Windrip and his "corporatist" regime.

We may not be completely there, but the parallels are scary.

SteveB 7 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another case of fantasy becoming reality. I'd watch my back. Ask plenty of questions and not trust any of the men in black, I mean in office.

SamL Level 7 Dec 6, 2017

Yes, it can happen here. And, unless we stand up to Trump, his cabal, and the morally bankrupt evangelicals backing here, it will happen. We MUST NOT let that happen!!! We need every intelligent, moral, and patriotic American standing up to them and saying, HELL, NO!!

Man! Thats a lot to think about. Tough question. Somethings coming. It starts with all thats being done now. Then it becomes the norm and some people except it blindly... then those that don't buy into it get the ax. It starts with blind allegiance.

a baby step at a time

this is what I worry about....not now, but down the road....this last legislation we passed was viewed as unfavorable to the majority of Americans (as far as I can tell by multiple different 'non-partisan' sites) and yet our 'representatives' passed it....that is a blatantly authoritarian move that was centered in congress...which worries me more....trumpling is an embarrassment, and might kill us all in a fit of narcissism, but I think we still have enough checks and balances that will handle him....the question for me is: will a smarter man keep quiet and slowly screw us all...much more frightening....like your example....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.