Agnostic.com

3 11

I have to rant... The United States has the worst health care system in the developed world. My daughter has cervical cancer. She has cervical cancer because she had an abnormal pap and was told she needed to have a LEEP (Loop electrosurgical excision procedure) to remove the abnormal cells. She didn't have that done because she was going to have to pay $400, and they didn't have it. They didn't have $400 because they had 7 kids between them, she was in college, etc etc. So she put it off. Now it's cervical cancer. She is scheduled for a radical hysterectomy tomorrow morning, which was scheduled last Monday, September 26th. She got a call from the hospital this afternoon to let her know that she will owe a $750 copay when she arrives at the hospital. She asked if it had to all be paid up front and they said they could pay half then make a payment arrangement. First of all, don't they realize not everyone has hundreds of dollars lying around? If I was in that situation at this moment, I'd just say, "OK, well I'm going to die then." Couldn't that news have been given a week ago, when the appointment was made, so there was time to plan?? Why can't a payment arrangement be made for the entire amount? What if someone doesn't have half??? Are they just shit out of luck??? Profit has no place in saving lives. There should be no copay in life saving procedures- there should be no profit in healthcare, PERIOD!! End rant. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

JonnaBononna 7 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been disgusted with the subpar medical care in this country for many years🤬.

We don't have a system, we have insurance conglomerates who run everything. Congress bows to them and continues to accept the billions of dollars their lobbyists pay to continue this.

1. Such ridiculous bs.
  2. I would immediately demand extra time to make the first payment for lack of warning. They should have told her at the time of booking.
  3. Where I am there are separate charges for the hospital, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist (if there is one). Just a heads up.

Yeah that's generally everywhere I think- that's how people get stuck with out of network charges because the doctor was in network but maybe the anesthesiologist wasn't. It's so ridiculous. And she says she feels stupid because it's so preventable, but she couldn't afford to pay! I wouldn't be able to either in the same circumstance.

@JonnaBononna Many Americans would not be able to come up with $375 overnight.

And I understand that a lot of people don't like to cause a stir, but pretty sure in those circumstances the administration would be getting some firm resistance from me tomorrow morning.

As a side note, when I had my cryosurgery that cured my cervical cancer about 35 years ago in Canada, it was done in a government hospital and there was no cost to me. I didn't even know what a copay was when I moved back to the US as an adult. Like you said, people should not be profiting off of other people's health problems.

My very best wishes to your daughter.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:690537
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.