Agnostic.com

14 1

Usefulness of "Thoughts and prayers"?

Does any else get bothered after a tragedy when all politicians do is offer "thoughts and prayers" to the victims? I personally find it a little condescending and hollow.

Jerseymatty 4 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Thoughts and prayers" are a useful tool for some people. Saying it makes them feel like they're doing something, when they're actually doing nothing.

I actually see nothing wrong with the phrase itself as long as it is not said instead of sending real help. Then again, I do not like when politicians are saying it as their statements should not be religious. There are many atheists that are mocking thoughts and prayers, but to me it is simply an equivalent of saying "my thoughts are with you", "I understand how you feel", "I hope you can get through it". It is also a figure of speech for religious and sometimes not-so-religious people, I suspect a lot of them don't really pray after saying it 😉

Really sick of hearing that phrase - especially from politicians.

None

Treme Level 2 Oct 8, 2017

If you entertain the idea that all thoughts have energy and you focus that energy then multiply it with the thoughts of others there is more than some credence to the idea that thoughts and prayers may significantly affect an outcome.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

I think it already has been tested. Google ot and share?

Saying the phrase is just a way to offer condolences to someone else. I offer 'thoughts' to show me my concern and sadness for their situation. I do not offer prayers.

haha yeah its pretty hurtful to me personally.

Maybe you have played the game?
[thoughtsandprayersthegame.com]

We’re all trying to make ourselves feel good. If “getting things done makes you feel good, that’s great. If a person telling me they will pray for me and it’s not an attempt on their part to be invasive with me, then it seems like a useful thing to do. I want the people around me to feel safe as I do. Why would I begrudge them that pleasure?

Feel good. Always feel good

As I have heard someone else say it, "thoughts and prayers" are the ultimate form of mental masturbation. They make you feel better, but they accomplish nothing.

I think feeling better is much better than not feeling anything at all . . . I wonder what I can accomplish if I don't feel good.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't feel something - because they should. But I sometimes think feeling helpless actually helps you to better understand the toughness of the situation, and helps you to face your fears, or come up with better solutions.

It's an annoying and useless platitude, like saying Bless You when someone sneezes

I wonder how good thoughts could be annoying

Though and prayers.... about as useful and meaningful as a "gun free zone" sign. Just saying.

I mean, it makes the person whos giving thoughts/prayers feel better so thats kind of useful, kinda like saying 'i hope things go better for you'

Just let it be. You just made the other guy feel better. Doesn't it make you feel better, too - making the other guy feel better?

Well, it's possibly useful for a believer to feel good about doing something without actually doing anything but as an effective means of getting things done it's worthless

If I don't feel good and inspired from good thoughts sincerely sent my way I'll just say, " I prefer cash! " . . . "all I need is a pint a day"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.