Agnostic.com

4 22

A member of the Hawaii Secular Society Facebook Group posted this video and I thought it might be of interest to members here. I found it very good at defining various aspects of atheism and agnosticism as well as bringing up categories I never thought to explore and compare, such as Ontology, Epistimology and Axiology. This is the 1st in a 3 part series by Matt Baker. I look forward to the next 2 installments.

I like how the conclusions made by the author show that despite differences in the level of belief in a spirit world, most atheists and theists find common ground in their human values. Of course, we all know this, but theists often seem to be led to believe that without belief in the supernatural, atheists lack direction in human values. Perhaps we need to focus more on what we have in common (what really counts) rather than the differences. 😉

Do any of the terms and definitions in this video describe you? With these definitions, I'm an explicit atheist, also an agnostic, a naturalist and a humanist, interested in making the world a better place.

I find that this common ground (making the world a better place) is what I tend to focus on as a starting point in my discussions with theists, with the difference of HOW we come to our conclusions simply as different paths leading to the same place.

Julie808 8 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Glad you want to make the world a better place. It would help if you didn't casually dismiss the subjugation of Hawaiians.

Maybe less focus on elevated atheist philosophy and more on the downtrodden natives where you live?

This is not a Hawaiian Sovereignty post nor website, so please stop assuming incorrect beliefs about me. Perhaps you follow divisive people like Tulsi Gabbard and other politicians who would like to lead Hawaii to secede from the union, but the majority of the people here would just like to make things better. We are where we are, and it is a religious battle in many ways, a mixed bag of old myths, plus Christian beliefs, and secularism has very little to say about it.

Still, it's not something I'm addressing here. It is not my reason for being on this site. Acknowledge the past and find common ground now to move forward for the betterment of not only the native people, but all people who found themselves here for whatever reason.

Obviously you don't agree with me on anything, so please stop with your hateful comments. You don't know me or my beliefs, but you just seem to want to make trouble. I haven't blocked anyone here yet, but you might end up being the first.

You always post thoughtful information

this was nicely done! Subscribed to the channel. Thank you for sharing!

Interesting. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Oct 15, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:691253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.