Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK What Is The Manosphere Getting Wrong? - Destiny | Modern Wisdom Podcast 540 - YouTube

This is a good and important conversation about a hard topic (optimizing relationships between genders).

rainmanjr 8 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have always been able to have good, healthy long term friendships with women over my life while single, and that has been a good thing, since it meets some of my social and emotional needs that are not met when I don't have a partner or am not actively dating steadily. The bad thing is, that those friendships are not really possible once or when one has a partner again. I think that women value those opposite, platonic friendships too, altho they usually have additional friendships with other women, unlike the single men. It's sad that opposite sex friendships always seem to fizzle out once either person finds their next dating partner, but it's better than nothing, because it helps fill the time of both parties, keeps them less isolated, and continues to give each of them some validation of their attractive qualities and worth as a person to another potential partner, since the dating game is so filled with rejection and discouragement, except maybe for those who are great looking, who get most of the interest from the other sex, and are usually doing the rejecting, rather than receiving rejection most of the time.

I did listen to the whole thing, in parts, because the first third or so, was really kind of boring and not related to gender relations. Almost all of the rest was relevant, altho there was a segment about politics, the new form of terrorism thru inciting rhetoric.

It’s a new environment for gender relations but I care less (if at all) about dating aspects than cultural or humanist aspects.

@rainmanjr I understand and respect that, but the dating game is central to my focus, as I miss having a partner and overall have had way more positive experiences with women, both in friendships and my one long term relationship, than most men have had with relationships, both with partners and female friends.

@TomMcGiverin it’s not central to mine so doesn’t address my comment.

@rainmanjr I care about both aspects, while you only care about cultural and humanist aspects, not the dating game. There, does that satisfy you? Why be so argumentative? Jessh, how demanding....

All this concern over how men relate is frustrating to me since I worked with men during my career in the printing industry and frankly, men are their own worst enemy.
The time was the 1980s and 1990s and I do not see much growth in all these years. the trump years set men back about a lot, IMHO.
There are the mean girls too and I don't know which is worse but I know one thing, the media has made things way worse in many ways.
There are good thing being, reaching out and connecting for broader ideas.

I think men had become conditioned to relate poorly since WWII, at least, but it's been improving since women pointed out some less than attractive features. In the 1990's many of us attended Men's Groups and became much more aware of ourselves, our responsibilities, and our roles as men. I see a great deal of growth but I think humans, of both genders, are their own worst enemy. I believe we both still operate from the primitive, instinctual, brain and there's no more time for doing better. We're done because everyone was so damned smart.

I like what I learn from Chris (video) and appreciate that he's brave enough to explore men's issues but likely close to ending my part in making people aware of them. There are many other areas, including legal and financial, where men have credible issues but I'm tired of carrying torches. Especially for a society I might care nothing about after next month.

@rainmanjr Yep, next month is a pivot point for the United States.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:691623
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.