Agnostic.com

3 10

Soooo, since humanoids tamed fire, they have slept near one, whether in jungles or tundra, as we see poorly at night and sleeping is vulnerability.
But current wisdom says you should block All light from your bedroom, sleeping in the Total Dark is best.
To me, that's going against all of our evolution.
Nightlights, please!

AnneWimsey 9 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That rocks Anne.

Put on the red light.

www..hjttp//

I used to like a little bit of light in my bedroom, but in my later years, I tend to block as much light as I can. There is a tiny blue light on a surge protector and another blue light on my air purifier that I simply must cover in order to sleep. Not sure these things bothered me so much in my younger years, but they sure do now. Maybe a warm light wouldn't bother me, but I don't have those anywhere visible from my bed most days.

Nice post, something original. I did hear that an important part the theory is that, the red light of fire does not matter so much, it is the blue daylight end of the spectrum which stops you sleeping well. Candles, oil lamps, red filtered bulbs and firelight are fine.

Personally I find that moonlight is quite a pain, and I like to have thick curtains when the moon is full.

True, Red light is the Best.
Warm light is better for sleep because the eyes are less sensitive to the longer wavelengths in warm light.
Specialized photosensitive cells called ipRGC’s are located in the retina of our eyes. These cells are able to detect any light and send messages to a part of the brain that helps regulate the body’s circadian clock. This is the body’s master clock that helps determine when people feel sleepy and awake. These ipRGC cells are most sensitive to blue wavelengths of light and least sensitive to red wavelengths.

[sciencemadefun.net]
[amerisleep.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:693502
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.