Agnostic.com

13 3

What’s your thoughts on childhood indoctrination?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After reading many of the comments below I think some people are a little too impressed with themselves. We're not talking about the indoctrination of the Hitler youth - it's natural for parents who attend church to bring along their kids. For them religion is what binds them and so it's not about indoctrination it's about seeing something positive in a lifestyle choice and wishing the same for their kids. Morally wrong? They should be put in jail? It's child abuse? I think we're getting a tad bit too carried away and I'm saying this as a non-theist and father of two.

I agree 100%. Also that is a slippery slope if the government were to start telling people what they are lawfully allowed to teach there kids about morals and lifestyles. Who decides what is lawful to teach them? Thats just not logical or morally correct.

Depends on what the indoctrination consists of.
To be an open minded, compassionate human ? Go for it.
Bigotry, hatred, religion ? No.

I think it's morally wrong, but parents still should have the right to have their say regardless.

All of culture is indoctrination, intersubjective beliefs. The human animal is a social being, no man is an island although I like to think I exist far out on a long pinninclia. Ed Wilson knows why: [wired.com]

Religious indoctrination is child abuse and should be criminalized. Period.

I agree 100%!

heil baby

It's horrible.

I think it was Margaret Mead, the anthropologist, who said that children should be taught HOW to think, not WHAT to think. It makes sense to me.

All people are taught so indoctrinated

"Indoctrinating" children into religion is the poisoning and brainwashing of their minds. It utterly disgusts me. I'm assuming you are asking in that context because of how you categorized this post. If I'm misunderstanding the question, please clarify. Thanks!

We are all indoctrinated by our parents, neighborhood, schools, friends, relatives, siblings, churches, grocery stores, car dealers, any business, all governments. Most people can't see programming of behavior patterns until they can see any thing from another point-of-view, recognize that it is valid and begin to question one's own beliefs. It is harder that it sounds and most find reasons that the other point-of-view is wrong.

Well, that's kind of loaded. I mean it's a sliding scale, isn't it? Assuming that the end product is a happy and capable being, there are many roads to that destination.
I think an underlying question is "what do you do when your child says 'no'?" That might help explain one's process of indoctrination and conditioning a child for society at large.
Frankly, I don't want a clone of myself. Why should my mistakes be repeated?

It's bad.

Denmark made it illegal last year !

Good!

@TheMiddleWay the teaching of religious legends in public schools

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.