Agnostic.com

10 17

Getting ready for winter, does it pain you to dig out plants? It does me.

Next Monday, the forecast is for snow with a low of 18 degrees F. My flowerpots on the deck are still blooming!

With a a heavy heart, I yanked out the plants today. Swept and vacuumed up ash from six wildfires still burning in steep mountain terrain above Lake Wenatchee.

I go through this every Fall. Went from vivid colors to concrete.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know it's hard, but it is a part of the life cycle. II have a brown thumb so I don't usually get that far. With traveling in my future I don't want to have to handle pets or plants.

I don't plant anything anymore, so there's nothing to dig up.
Apartment living cuts way back on my urge to grow stuff.

The cycle of seeding/planting, growth and harvest was one that was just part of being. Yes, I enjoyed the spring and first blooming the best and as the cold sets in and gives way to bare branches and empty beds I do my Scarlett O'Hara - fiddle de de, I'll think of that tomorrow.
Now, it's the cold that gets me and that I can't ignore. Rainbow colors really help to cheer me up.

All my plants are perennial or succulents and I bring them in when it starts to get cold. I actually think they like it better indoors. I have a lot of perennial in the garden year round.

Goodbye time makes things/people even more valuable and meaningful.

Diaco Level 7 Nov 5, 2022

@Diaco, @Julie808, @Jolanta, @Budgie, @phoenixone1, @silverotter11

You're right. In winter, I love snowshoeing in the mountains.

Simple beauty. In snow, animal tracks show who lives there.

I enjoyed gardening when I lived in Washington and had a huge yard, which ended up looking like a park. A lot of work. Now that I've been 15 years full time on Kauai, I don't miss the gardening at all. The resident manager of my condo complex takes meticulous care of the potted creations he puts together and places around the grounds. He always has a "thriller, a spiller and a filler" in a variety of colors and textures, to keep them each unique and interesting. No threat of freezing, but they do wilt in the heat if not watered every day. Hard to tell what season it is sometimes.

Maybe the ritual of having to pull out the summer flowers for the winter bareness is a way to celebrate the change of the seasons and make space for some fall/winter creativity. The "newness" of flowers in the spring is something those of us in the tropics take for granted since so many of our plants flower all year long. There is something to be said for the changing of the seasons, and the cycles of plant life.

You have the thrill of planting fresh flowers in the spring!

They look lovely. During winter just look at the photo and know that next year they will be back.

@Jolanta

Each Spring, I buy and plant new annual flowers. Annual flowers are killed by freezing temperatures. Annual flowers, or annuals, have a lifespan of one year.

On the other hand, perennial flowers, or perennials, grow back every Spring.

My sister lives in Oregon and she and her husband just sold their house in town for a place in the burbs. They spent about a week moving nothing but plants because 'I'll be damned if I leave them behind for someone to kill them!"

I live in the tropics so I am going to ask why you pull the plants out?

@Budgie

I had to dig them out because a deep freeze is coming. Freezing kills annual flowers.

When dead plants freeze and thaw, they turn slimy. Don't want to deal with that.

@LiterateHiker
Anything with bulbs turns instantly into blech....

If you are willing to pay shipping, I am sure a number of us would be glad to have a warm winter home for our 'fanily'....

@BOBdammit I have a brown thumb anything left with me would be deader than the frozen plants.

If you lived in Dallas...a Tornado would have saved you the trouble. 😁

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:694051
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.