Agnostic.com

5 9

[weather.com]

Since we can't fix stupid we should stop building on the coast

MizJ 8 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

FL is dissolving into the Atlantic and with the rise in ocean temperature plus sea level rise its going to speed up.
I live on the coast, but where I live there is a massive chunk of granite which is still bouncing back up from the last ice sheet sitting on it at about the same rate as sea level rise. YAY for Scotland!
Picking on FL, the economy is highly tied in with property/real estate making it hard for politicians to make the intelligent choice of effectively abandoning FL to nature rather than looking after the long term needs of humanity on the east coast of the USA.
Fact is, the planet does not care about us and it will win.

Florida is limestone, if you have seen a cave you know that limestone dissolves. Limestone also collapses when the groundwater is pumped out of it creating sinkholes.

When hurricanes make landfall they lose strength, hurricanes also can create massive storm surges that drive water ashore. When they land at high tide the damage is incredible. Building just a bit inland is so logical little kids can understand it. There are buildings in the Daytona Beach area that are falling into the ocean. A lot of the destruction was avoidable.

Sea water is already in some septic systems in parts of this state.

@MizJ I've been following the destruction of FL for several decades now. Well, since we started to cover the subject in geography back in 1977!
In the UK we could see how sea levels were affecting FL and teaching it to us kids in basic geography. What I did not expect was the US government not to step in and prevent beachfront property development, and then I grew up and thought they're buggered.

@Sofabeast On the barrier islands of North Carolina known as the Outer Banks property insurance is not available, the risk there is similar to Florida. You build there others don't have to pick up the tab for your foolishness.

I am 9m/30ft above sea level and far enough from water that it never floods. If the roofers hadn't screwed up I would be sleeping in my bedroom not the garage. My garage door is rated for hurricanes. It made a LOT of noise and I could hear the debris hitting it. I was shaking with fear but I am here in one piece. New construction building codes require impact glass, some of my windows have been upgraded with that. If I was planning to stay here all the windows would get upgraded.

Unfortunately no government can fix stupid.

@MizJ Our storms are changing on the east coast of Scotland too. I strength, frequency, temperature and length.
Although we don't get hurricanes this side of the Atlantic, the storms are looking more and more like category one to two hurricanes. Once in hundred years storms happen three to five times a year and the once in a millennia ones I've lived through twice since my 23rd birthday.

@Sofabeast Do the storms look like cyclones on radar or are they more like weather fronts?

@MizJ Prope cyclones, like the one sitting over us at the moment. Sustained wind speeds of only 30mph with gusts up to 60ish. The dump of water is the problem.

@Sofabeast Interesting that a storm would be cyclonic at that latitude. I have seen minor tropical storms dump 20 inches/50 cm of rain. It all depends on the size and speed of the storm's movement, the longer it sits on top of you the more you get drenched. The wind speed doesn't matter in this regard.

@MizJ A mate of mine is on boat watch on the biggest trawler in the UK fleet while it's in port due to the weather.
So far today we've had 100mm of rain with another 100mm predicted for tomorrow and it's warm! Well, warm for here.

I don't want to be in San Francisco when the Big One comes: [sanandreasfault.org]

Lots of places along the ring of fire are dangerous.

I think that would be fixing stupid, in a way. But bigger picture, if that's our answer to melting the polar ice caps, then it's still stupid on a global scale. One could justly say humanity deserves to drown. I guess that given enough time, the biblical great flood to cleanse the Earth of us was prophetic after all. It's just that God has nothing to do with it of course, it's just man all over again.

I didn't claim it would be a total solution, lots of changes can be made but they require choosing the planet over corporate greed.

Building at all, is part of the problem, we should try to use our existing housing stock better.

The link is a video of a cop going door to door in a condo building that was about to fall into the sea. The idiots that wouldn't leave he collected the next of kin information from.

We need to stop building on the Florida coast and barrier islands.

I doesn't look good...

I am in my garage. Sixty MPH wind, torrential, sideways rain. No idea if the roof repair is working or my house is flooding from above.

@MizJ sorry for you... I hope you get out of it okay.

"Florida will go blue eventually." - clever political double entedre.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:694702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.