Agnostic.com

3 4

Took note of a fun blog ‘America’s worst mom.’ The point of the blog is to promote the idea of ‘Free Range Kids.’ When describing my childhood I thought I had created this term; seems not. At one time my mom let me ride my bike along a busy highway to get out of Sunday school and attend dancing class. Once, I tried to take a short cut and saw a road through some woods. Seems I was on restricted property. I was picked up and my dad was called (he worked at the firm I was trespassing). It was an error on their part, a gate was left open, but, still, I was given a warning.

”A journalist by trade, Lenore spent 14 years at The New York Daily News as a reporter-turned-opinion columnist, and two more at The New York Sun. In 2008, after her column "Why I Let My 9 Year Old Ride the Subway Alone" landed her on every talk show from The Today Show to Dr. Phil, Lenore founded the book and blog “Free-Range Kids.” These launched the anti-helicopter parenting movement and garnered her the nickname, “America’s Worst Mom.”

She is also a part of a magazine: reason.com [reason.com] which I think some of us on this site would be interested.
JackPedigo 9 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a bicycle, both folks worked, we lived in the stix. It was my job to get myself to eye doc appts, etc after school--a few miles to get into town. To go spend the day with my aunt in the summer, I went across a four lane divided highway on said bicycle. One summer my cousins got the big idea to take our bikes to a town 17+ miles away and get ice cream. We got there and home very late. Dangerous roads including highways were traveled to get there. I was the only girl and the youngest....about 8-9 if I remember right and boy was I tired. Times were different in the very early 70's.

And even more different in the 50' and 60's. Now kids are put in day care and have helicopter parents.

I am guessing her son had subway tokens and maybe a smartphone. He will grow up more confident.

MizJ Level 8 Nov 13, 2022

I know my parents gave me a lot of rope. And I took a whole lot more than they gave me explicitly! 😁

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:695269
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.